Getting ready to build the brooder, so I have everything?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgaine, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I have 26 chicks coming from Mc Murray at the end of the month and I wanted to make sure I have everything I'm going to need before they get here. We are building the brooder, which will be 4'x8'x2' tall. I'm planning to have a removable divider for when they first arrive and then expanding as they grow. I have a three quart waterier, one of the tray feeders, a reptile thermometer, bag of pine shavings, and a small bag of chick grit. I will pick up the starter mash right before they arrive. Is there anything else I need?

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    You will also need a source of heat. I use a utility light with a 100 watt bulb in it. It work very well, but I have mine in my spare bedroom at the moment.

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Sounds great! I like the idea that its expandable. Your list soudns pretty complete except: heat lamp with ceramic socket and red bulb... and a way to adjust the distance.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks! Knew i was forgeting to add something. I have the red heat lamp and the socket that has some metal around it. it clamps onto things and has a long cord. I was planning to hang it down from the cord through a hole in the lid. Will that work?

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I would be careful hanging it as the chicks might fly into it and get burned or it could cause the shavings to get to hot and ignite them and cause a fire. My DH built a frame with hardware cloth on it to cover the top and I have mine sitting on it at one end so if it gets to hot for them they can move to the other side. Check out the brooder thread.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by