Getting ready to butcher some crowing chickens. Need to be sure!

Moriaheva

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2017
We live in the suburbs and can't have anything crowing. We have had some crowing, some fighting and very rooster like looks on 8 of our chickens. They are vacationing in the country (at my friend's house) while we figure out for sure whether they are he's or she's.

Please help!
We have 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes-almost positive these are roosters
2 Welsummers almost positive these are roosters.
1 Australorp
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Dominic
They are 18 weeks

We dearly love these birds and have hand raised them, but can't have roosters and would rather eat them have them be eaten by another family or treated badly in a home that didn't love them.

Please help us know for sure so we don't accidentally butcher anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    573.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    575.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 13
Darn, my thoughts as well. The single ones I wasn't so sure on as those didn't exhibit rooster behavior until very recently. What's the giveaway on the Dominic, speckled Sussex and australorp? Those were trickier for me. They absolutely starting sparring this week, but I heard no verified crows from them. The australorp was quite aggressive, however.

Darn, my thoughts as well. The single ones I wasn't so sure on as those didn't exhibit rooster behavior until very recently. What's the giveaway on the Dominic, speckled Sussex and australorp? Those were trickier for me. They absolutely starting sparring this week, but I heard no verified crows from them. The australorp was quite aggressive, however.
All Roosters, very sorry..

Each one has very large combs, and some you can see the h.ackles(feathers near tail base).
Also, The Domic's are fairly easy to tell, they normally get huge combs—fast.

Hackle feathers are very prominent on all of them. There are other clues, but that's probably the quickest way to tell.

Male specific saddle feathers. Take a good look at the feathering on the backs. Do you see those long, thin, pointed feathers? Do you see how all the birds pictured have that same sort of feathering? Those feathers are specific to males. The Dominique has the additional, male specific trait, of having two copies of the barring gene.

Back
Top Bottom