1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbanchick, May 31, 2007.

1. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    I found a circle of sticks and twigs on the ground that were arranged into a circular fashion. Do chickens do this when they're getting ready to lay eggs? They are about 3 months old. Do they ever lay this early? I have wyandottes.

Currently I have the nesting boxes in their coop blocked off with screen bc they were sleeping in there. When should I uncover them and fill them with hay? I have a bad feeling that they will lay their eggs under our deck bc that is where they like to hang out and it's nice and dark under there. I would of course have no clue if they started doing so. I'm wondering if I should block it off with chicken wire.

Come on, chickens... I want some eggs! [​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Can you screen off the deck so they can't get under it? Don't know anything about the sticks, but it does sound "nesty".

3. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Yes, it will be a task, but we will probably have to do it if we want any eggs to eat.

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I'm curious as to why the nesting boxes are "screened off" - why don't you want them sleeping in the nesting boxes??? I'm confused....and new at this if you couldn't tell [​IMG] LOL...When my little ones are ready to go out to the coop/pen - I plan to have the nesting boxes all ready, even though they won't lay for another few months, is this not a good thing to do?????

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most people dont want chickens to sleep in the nest boxes because of all the poo which = dirty eggs. My hens naturally dont sleep in the spots they lay eggs in though. It's just not a good habit.

6. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    So it's really not even necessary to put the nesting boxes in until they are ready to lay???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by