Getting Ready to Start

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Aug 5, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    We are getting close to starting up a borrowed incubater to try our fist hatching of French Black Copper Marans.
    I have collected almost a dozen eggs and set up the bator next week. Always want tips, cautions and suggestions. I have the book that comes with the machine but real experience is always better.
    So, any help??

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Well make sure that you don't collect them for to long or they wont hatch (you can collect them up to 10 days)
    I'm sure you already knew that. [​IMG]

Also always wash your hands before you touch the eggs so that you wont get a blood ring. [​IMG]

good luck

3. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    be careful and remeber they need humidity if you dont put water in the incubator the chicks may hatch deformed

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Wow! I didn't know that you could save fertile eggs for that long before incubation! Do you refridgerate them or just leave them sitting out?

5. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    idk if you were talking to me or not but ima answer your question! [​IMG] I put mine in a box with each egg wrapped in newspaper. last time I did that I got good results [​IMG]
    I would not refridgerate.

6. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.
    It will take right around 10 or 12 days to collect the eggs. They are kept in a styrofoam egg carton on the kitchen counter. The house is air conditioned and cool.
    The question is do I start them with the large end up? There is an auto turner in the incubator and I will mark them with a pencil to be sure its working right. What is the recommended temp and humidity? What does "lockdown" actually mean? Hope you don't mind me picking your brain.

7. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes keep the large end up, and lockdown is on day 18, when you stop turning the eggs, raise the humidity, and don't open the incubator.which, I guess is why they call it 'lockdown'

on day 18 take the eggs out of the automatic turner, and put them on the their sides on the bottum of the incubator (on a paper towel to make it easier to clean afterwards.)

temp should be 99.5 F. It doesnt have to be Exactly 99.5 F but keep it above 97 F and below 102 F.

8. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thank You
    97-102 temp.
    What is the recommended humidity? Before and during lockdown??

9. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I hate to say it....but I hardly ever mess with humidity. Just put water in the incubator and go. Last hatch I had really good results
    (10 out of 12 chicks hatched)

I have read on humidity. It should be 58-60 % from day 1 to day 18

then on day 18 it should be increased to 65% from day 18 to day 21

but ya know. When a hen is setting on her eggs its like impossible for even HER to get humidity perfect. So I wouldnt worry bout it tooooo much. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by