1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting ready

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sheaviance1, Apr 5, 2011.

1. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi guys! I'm getting ready to start raising quail. Is there a place to go (or a really good book) for comprehensive information on how to get started raising quail?

I have done some searching on here, but haven't had a whole lot of luck finding answers to some of my questions. For example, I raise chickens & rabbits, I understand biosecurity and segregation are important, but what would be the minimum space between them? I ask because part of my yard the chickens free-range, so I need to calculate how far away from the entire chicken area I need to be. I have a large garage that extends back into our fenced in area that the chickens do not use. I hope that I can locate the quail on the opposite side of the garage building to help prevent airborne exposure. Our neighbor has 100+ acres that is also available for us to locate their housing if we need to. He has always given us free run of his acreage because we fix his fences, clean it up, fill in sinkholes, etc.

I have lots of questions that I would like to find answers to. We have placed an order for 100 quail that are due in the first week of June. My plan is to keep a dozen and release the rest. I would like information that is geared to raising them to release. Thank you [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    My plan is to keep a dozen and release the rest. I would like information that is geared to raising them to release. Thank you

AT LEAST 1 OF THOSE QUESTIONS SHOULD BE ASKED OF YOUR FISH AND GAME DEPT--- "CAN I RELEASE THESE AND IF SO WHAT PERMITS DO I NEED"​

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Why are people so "heck" bent on releasing quail?

I'm sorry! I just don't understand it! Maybe if the released quail woud be on a local overpass, with a cardboard poster stating..."Will work/lay eggs for GBS"

I think I'm going to hatch a bunch of chickens, and release them into the wild.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I'd like to release some for hunting. Getting tired of shooting clay.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    There is an endless supply of clay, for the trigger happy, isn't there?

Please don't get me wrong...I'm not anti hunter. If you have the land, and are willing to do the work and put forth the money, then you can have a quail preserve, which, if properly maintained and hunted, will replace all those clay pidgins, you like to blast out of the sky.

It is just costly, and time consuming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by