getting reay to lay??

caryrachel

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2016
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if there are ways to tell if my k.cambell is ready to start laying??

There are multiple ways. Ducks can't lay and molt at the same time, so she must be done molting and usually ducks start laying anywhere from 4-8 months. If she is ready to lay, her pelvis will be wider than a drake's (if they're the same size), her vent will moisten and widen, and her abdomen will drop. Dark colored birds also often get dark splotches on their bills as they lay, but pink beaks pale out during laying.

Thank you. She's not molting and her abdomen has dropped. Ill keep watching out. These are my first ducks so I'm super excited.

Thank you. She's not molting and her abdomen has dropped. Ill keep watching out. These are my first ducks so I'm super excited.

Good for you! :celebrate
Watch for the eggs- they may be hidden underneath shavings. Ducks lay in early morning so when you let them out in the morning they should have laid. Do you have nest boxes?

Last edited:
No i don't. i didn't know if they'd make their own nests or they need boxes. they bed down in straw we get from our family farm. should i make nesting boxes and if so what's good dimensions for my ladies if u don't mind my asking.

No i don't. i didn't know if they'd make their own nests or they need boxes. they bed down in straw we get from our family farm. should i make nesting boxes and if so what's good dimensions for my ladies if u don't mind my asking.

okay. Ducks don't usually use nesting boxes but if you want them to use them, use golf balls or false chicken eggs to show them "it's safe". 12" by 12" by 18" high is usually good, you can always use one half of a dog kennel.

Back
Top Bottom