Getting rid of a fox?

kchapman81

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
CT
Yesterday afternoon we lost our sweet girl Bramble to a fox. Luckily we were able to catch what was happening in time to save the rest. This happened in their run which we are already working in making it better and getting better (smaller holes) wire however any tips on getting rid of the fox? A way to deter it? Traps? Honestly anything at this point would be helpful. I’m so upset and now terrified to let the rest of my girls out. Thank you in advance.
D1A049EE-3CFC-49D9-9E73-46070CE9C70C.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon we lost our sweet girl Bramble to a fox. Luckily we were able to catch what was happening in time to save the rest. This happened in their run which we are already working in making it better and getting better (smaller holes) wire however any tips on getting rid of the fox? A way to deter it? Traps? Honestly anything at this point would be helpful. I’m so upset and now terrified to let the rest of my girls out. Thank you in advance.
View attachment 2699682
Hi. I’m sorry to hear about your chickens. I am a fairly new “chicken tender” myself. It sounds like you are off to a good start by making the run more secure from predators. We lost a hen about 2 months ago and I am still grieving her. I do not know how to get rid of a fox but if someone else replies to your post, I too will be anxiously awaiting the response. Have a good day @kchapman81

:welcome :frow So sorry for you loss. My post from another fox thread.
This one killed some of my birds. I was seeing it during the day. We had processed some birds and a couple of the packages found their way to the bottom of the freezer. I used it as bait. I eliminated it.
View attachment 2700006View attachment 2700007
This one dug under a gate and killed several birds. I used one of the dead birds as bait. I used leg traps but now only live traps. I have electric wires around my coops and pens but nothing at the gates. I have since put an electric wire across the bottom of the gates and concrete under the gates. They kept coming back. I don't mess with them unless they kill any of my birds then I eliminate them. I have seen other fox but if they bother my birds I'll eliminate them too. Both of these fox were mangy and stinky even though at first they looked fluffy. Good luck...
View attachment 2700023

:welcome :frow So sorry for you loss. My post from another fox thread.
Thank you so much for this information! I think we are going to resort to eliminating this one as well and I will definitely be looking into adding hot wire around my pen!

Thank you so much for this information! I think we are going to resort to eliminating this one as well and I will definitely be looking into adding hot wire around my pen!
When you're ready to put electric wires up, post. Several BYC members including myself have hot wires. I've made plenty of mistakes over the years and hopefully I learned something from them. Lessons learned the hard way. Good luck and have fun...

I am surprised that one of my cameras hasn't gotten any pictures around a couple of my coops. I have seen fox tracks and my camera is pointed that way, never got any pictures but I got some of the fox on other cameras.
This was the same night I saw the tracks around some other coops. This was actually a couple of nights ago outside my chick/grow-out coop. It was coming from the direction of the other coops. The date is incorrect.

DSCF0002531 01.jpg

This is another view/camera. The date and time on this picture are correct. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there.
DSCF0002124 01.jpg

Hi @kchapman81 i wanted to let you know about a non profit organization in my area that I just found out about. It’s a wild life preserve and they come & trap & re-home the fox at no cost. I wonder if you have one in your area. Just a thought & im looking into it for myself. Good luck no matter what you decide to do. ❤️

Hi @kchapman81 i wanted to let you know about a non profit organization in my area that I just found out about. It’s a wild life preserve and they come & trap & re-home the fox at no cost. I wonder if you have one in your area. Just a thought & im looking into it for myself. Good luck no matter what you decide to do. ❤️
Oh wow thank you! My animal loving heart loves this idea much more! I will definitely look into it to see if there's anything like that near me!

Back
Top Bottom