1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting rid of an somewhat aggressive rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AChickenLoverProduction, Dec 18, 2011.

1. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    I have a WSB rooster who is getting alittle aggressive. I have one to many roosters in my flock as it is. One rooster for every ten hens right? I know I could kill him for meat or sell him. But if I could find him a home that would be nice. So here's the question. Where can I give a rooster away free to a good home???

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

One rooster for 10 hens is the recommended max for good fertility. Some roosters can handle 15 or so hens and some can`t even deal with 10. Doesn`t have anything to do with how a rooster treats the ladies or aggression toward humans. You didn`t say aggression to what, or his age, which may have something to do with it. Maybe you could be more specific........Pop

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You are going to give away an aggressive rooster? What if he injures someone's children? At the very least warn that he has temperament issues.

4. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    He's 8 months old. I'm just getting prepared if I do have to get rid of him, maybe I can keep him. I just dont want the two of them fighting or injurying the hens. He's stressing a few of them out, pecking and chasing them. Well he has chihuahua syndrome, he pecks my feet when I walk into the coop. I was just curious on what to do.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Looky here, at 8 months he is like a teenage boy with hormones blazing. A few months and he will mature into a fine gentleman. Pecking feet is not aggression, it`s curiosity. Now if he were flying into your leg, or drawing blood on the hens, that would be different. The boy desrves a chance, unless you just don`t like him.......Pop

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Looky here, at 8 months he is like a teenage boy with hormones blazing. A few months and he will mature into a fine gentleman. Pecking feet is not aggression, it`s curiosity. Now if he were flying into your leg, or drawing blood on the hens, that would be different. The boy desrves a chance, unless you just don`t like him.......Pop

agreed, and if he does start getting "fresh" with you, there are measures you can take to discipline him and show him that you are the boss.
    Not all roosters will turn mean, so i wouldn't be concerned unless he is charging/trying to attack.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    IMO it's too much of a PITA to mess with a stupid bird that more than likely won't stop being aggressive. Get rid of it and keep the ratio of roosters:hens proportional and give the roosters a break from all the fighting.

I tried giving mine away on this forum, but not one answer, so I went to Yahoo's freecycle thing and the first night I got three e-mails asking about the two roosters I was giving away. The freecycle thing, I believe, is all over the country, every county in every state. Go yo the Yahoo main page and do a search for it I guess. For example, if you're in Clark county NV, you'd go to clarkcountynvfreecycle. Oh...I just looked and it's the Yahoo groups. You have to join the particular group that's your county (or whatever you want I suppose).

By the way, the freecycle thing is meant *only* for giving things away or trading. *NO SELLING* of anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by