Getting rid of backyard pests (voles) while keeping backyard ducks safe

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mudbillkisses, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    I have a vole colony starting in my backyard. My neighbors have had them for a while- torn up lawn with tunnels and have failed to address it quickly and effectively. I believe some have migrated over and I'm seeing signs of burrowing in my yard. Before they destroy my lawn and plants and get out of control, I am not sure how to address this with backyard ducks. My ducks free range during the day. I don't have a large yard. I can't use poison or traps without my ducks being at risk.

Anyone have experience killing voles with other techniques that won't harm my ducks?

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    One word...cat
    At least, that's what I use
    He leaves the birds alone because they are in electric fence, and catches all sorts of things.

If you can't get a cat, try shooting them. B.B. guns work fine
    Shotguns are better[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Mudbillkisses

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah- can't have a cat (live in upstate NY so they wouldnt' do well as outdoor animals in the winter months) and we are very allergic. I haven't actually seen one to shoot it...just know they're starting to make a home there based on the few holes/craters in the lawn. Was thinking if there was something 'natural' that voles hate but won't harm the ducks...

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Machine gun? Maybe you'll hit one or two[​IMG]
    Like I said, I have voles but they aren't a problem coz of said cat... I really don't know any other way

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So, it's definitely voles, not moles? We got moles to go away by getting rid of the grubs by using milky spore.

In some areas, there are small terriers that are trained to go after rodents. Might there be someone around who could do that service? You'd need to get the ducks out of the area first, of course . . . just thinking.

We have voles here - and we have cats. And there are foxes and other predators that seem to keep rodent populations in check.

6. Mudbillkisses

Feb 21, 2016
    @Amiga yeah they're voles- just judging based on what the lawn is beginning to look like and the neighbors (who have had voles and are being lazy/in denial about getting rid of them). The terrier idea is interesting- I was hoping there was something we could do first before looking at bringing in an expert. Mostly because if I pay to have someone come out for a service and my neighbors aren't doing their part- it'll be short lived.

Our ducks do a pretty good job at getting the grubs in the yard. I live in a village setting so my yard is not big- the ducks free range from morning until dusk.

I'm trying to figure out how quickly I need to address this going into upstate NY winter...

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    No mess mouse traps might work, maybe bury them or something? I dont see how a duck could hurt itself on one, even if its not buried. I just dont know if a vole would fall for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by