Getting rid of ducks if we have a bad winter! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StevenW., Nov 14, 2010.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    has very sad news!!! i may have to get rid of my ducks [​IMG] and the reason is mom [​IMG] said i had to get rid of them if we have a hard winter here and she said she would rather have me have chickens than ducks........ [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Why? Ducks are easier to keep in winter than chickens are. Ducks are naturally insulated and waterproof--they hardly need protection at all. Of course, keeping up with frozen water is a pain, but it's a pain with chickens too. You can just give them a bucket of water with a cheap water heater in it. Good luck--I think you should chat with your mom & see if you can't work it out. It really is better for everyone to keep the ducks.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    No way! That's terrible! [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    i absolutly love my ducks but my mom said wat happens happens i just need to get over it... its very stupid and plus i dont want to get rid of them

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have chickens and ducks and believe me, ducks are WAY less work in the winter than my chickens(my chickens tend to be what we call "weather weenies").
    I sure hope you don't have to get rid of your ducks. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't understand the logic in this situation?

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    i should just give in and let her have her way....... blahhhhh is goin to be very tough to see them go [​IMG]

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Sounds like a cheap excuse for an adult to get rid of messy animals. You have to have her bake something with the eggs, so she see how much better they taste. Perhaps that convinces her to let you keep them.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    OK, what kind of ducks are we talkin' here? Simply because I have family in Chicago and basically I am looking for an excuse to have ducks....I make frequent visits to Tinley Park...are you near there? Could you post some pics of the ducks that you have? How many? Etc?

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    i have 3 crested(2 females and 1 male), 1 cayuga (male), 1 half mallard (female), 2 mallards (female) and all going to freezer camp --------------->5 anconas (males), 1 cayuga (male), 1 crested (male)
    [​IMG]
    all females
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    males
    [​IMG]
    all males
    there r no pics of the cayugas

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by