Getting rid of lice & mites?

chickcrazzy

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 17, 2014
Usa
I don't know if my chickens have lice or not because they won't be still when I try to check so just in case what are some home remedies to get rid mites, lice & bugs???

Ok thanks @Judy for the info I appreciate the help! Can I put sevin on my 6 month old chicks? And can I still eat the eggs while using sevin on them?

You should be able to tell whether the bugs are actually present, if you check out the link, and check the birds, probably after dark, with a flashlight and a friend. Also check the underside of the roost during the day; one type hides there, then gets on the bird at noght. I would use the Sevin 5% on chicks, myself, if I were quite sure the bug were there, because an infestation of the wrong kinds can suck so much bloood they get sick or even die if extreme. What I have actually done the last few years is dust the nests, areas under the roosts and the dusting areas every few weeks. I've never actually seen bugs or dusted birds -- but these bugs are everywhere, wild bird have them, and I don't believe for a minute that just becaue I couldn't find them meant there were absolutely none present.

There is supposed to be a 3 week withdrawal period for eggs after using Sevin. I've never bothered, and know of several other "old timers" who don't. I wouldn't sell egg for eating for 3 weeks after using Sevin, though -- just in case, just to be safe. You never know who is allergic to what, for one thing. Just my opinion -- you'll have to do things your own way, of course.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom