Getting rid of roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GraceyMay, Dec 8, 2012.

1. GraceyMay

GraceyMay Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    A few months ago we were having a problem with a hen-pecked rooster. That problem is gone because the rooster vanished. I think he ran away because of the issues he was having with the other chickens (he hardly ever left the henhouse). Has anyone ever heard of a rooster just up and leaving? One day he vanished for a few hours. A few weeks later he vanished again and never came back.

That left us with 2 roosters and 5 hens in our little flock. One of the roosters is quite mean (a polish crested) and flogs you frequently when you open the henhouse or go out to collect eggs. The other rooster (a black sexlink) has attacked my mom once. My mother has decided she's getting rid of both roosters. She's found a relative that wants them. This relative knows less about chickens than my mom.

Once before we had 2 turken roosters and 3 hens and mom gave the roosters away and the chickens went kind of crazy. We found them in the neighbor's yard, one following the other like they were just walking off....

Anhyway, mom is not worried that the roosters will be gone because the fence now has chicken wire and the chickens get their wings clipped.

WIll getting rid of the roosters cause any actual problems for the chickens? Will the roosters face issues without chickens?

I'm trying to convince my mom to keep them or get rid of the whole lot.

Thank you.

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the flock will undergo a change in the pecking order, but nothing to serious. and it is quite usual for person to keep roosters alone together.

3. GraceyMay

GraceyMay Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    what problems might occur with keeping just the 2 roosters?

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

not many, with just the roosters together they will have nothing to fight over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by