Getting rid of smell on eggs...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WallTenters, Sep 12, 2012.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Just started some craft projects with the quail eggs and now my hands stink. I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell and this smell is not pleasant. Anyone had any luck with certain washes? I washed these eggs with warm water and dish soap it helped but not nearly enough.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I cant say i know what will take away the smell, but have you tried using vinigar to at least disguise it. Of course, if you dislike the smell of vinigar this wont help

3. WallTenters

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I do not like the smell of vinegar and I worry about it damaging the colors a bit over time?

4. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    You can wipe the eggs with white vinegar on a soft cloth and it'll help remove the the odor without damaging color. Another option is to store your craft eggs in a box with a sachet of baking soda to neutralize odors and after a week or so replace that with another sachet of some pleasant-smelling herbs like lavender or dried citrus peel.

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    have you blown the inside out of the eggs? if not it is normal for them to have a slight odor for a bit while the insides dry up then they do not smell. if you have then try rinsing them in a natural cleaner inside and out. good luck[​IMG]

6. WallTenters

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Thanks for the respones I will try the baking soda.

I have blown these eggs, though would love something to get rid of the smell on the eating eggs as well, so maybe a baking soda wash would help out a bit. This is not a funky yoke smell or anything it is just the regular quail egg smell but when you are handling the eggs for a while you realize it more I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by