Getting roosters together

Molnut

Songster
Oct 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
I have 1 15 weeks old (likely an Ameaucana), 2-3 13 weeks mixed breed and 2-3 12 weeks mixed breed. All are roosters. It is time to remove them from their flock mates.
The Amaraucana rooster has been on his own for 4 days as he was getting too aggressive with one low ranking female.
I have an 4×8 coop which I am planning to use for the roosters until we get an idea of their temper and breed mix.
Is is a good idea? Any advice about timimg? Usually the rule of thumb is to put them in at night. Is it the same for roosters or might they fight when they wake up. The coop is not that big.
Thanks

I just combined 10 cockerels aged 14 to 16 weeks into a 10 x 10 chain-link dog kennel. Fighting minimal even when all added within about 48 hours. They are not roosting as a single group yet. A 4 x 8 pen will be tight for 7 cockerels or even adult chickens in general when they are stay for months on end.

Last edited:
I just combined 10 cockerels aged 14 to 16 weeks into a 10 x 10 chain-link dog kennel. Fighting minimal even when all added within about 48 hours. They are not roosting as a single group yet. A 4 x 8 pen will be tight for 7 cockerels or even adult chickens in general when they are stay for months on end.

Is it possible for you to introduce them while they're free ranging? I've found that it reduces the fighting quite a bit.
I am putting them in a new coop and fenced area with an 82f electric netting. It is pasture and they will have about 400sf. I can double that next week. I have another 82f fence in use right now that I can add then.
Should I wait until then?
Also, to keep it short, I did not mention that the six younger roosters are from the same flock. Only the older one is from another flock.

Back
Top Bottom