Getting sad.......eggs aren't developing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brandibaby23, Dec 21, 2010.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Well here is my story so far, I had a nice lady give me 14 eggs free just paid shipping then I bought a dozen from a lady down the road. So I put all the eggs in the incubator on the 17th. I candled today, I know a little early but still should see something right? Well NO, not one egg has any growth [​IMG] Well I retract that 3 had death rings, but had them since day 2. I am very discouraged, want to cry. Anyone have any reasoning's for this? My incubator has been running a week prior to putting the eggs in, the temp and humidity have been staying in range between 99.5 and 102.5 humidity between 35% and 50% not sure if that could have anything to do with it. So what could have caused all of them not to grow? Or am I overreacting? Is it too soon to see anything? But I just think having all 26 eggs being infertile is quite the odd occurrence. Well just had to vent and put it out there, all I wanted for christmas was some fuzzies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    What kind of incubator are you using? And is it still air or circulated air? That last part makes a BIG difference in where you want your temps. If you candled on day 2 and day 3, you need to stop. Over candling/over handling can kill your embryos, not to mention introducing bacteria, etc. [​IMG]

3. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    It is a little giant "still air" incubator.

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Don't give up on them.... it may just take some time for them to develop. How old were the eggs when you got them?

5. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    The 14 I got first were I'm guessing 3 days old maybe 4 because they were shipped but it didn't take too long and the other dozen were supposedly just laid the day I got them.

6. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    lg still air bators need to be 101-102 degrees at the TOP of the eggs, meaning your thermometer sits above the eggs, on top of them.

7. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I just had a blood ring /large mass thing hatch...

I have no clue what I am looking for when I candle because I am a newbie but I did know that I couldnt trust my judgment so unless the egg was stinking it went back in the incubator for more time.

Two of the previous four eggs I had labled as iffy or "probably bad" hatched.

I'd try giving them a little more time.

Good luck! And keep us posted!

8. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I have kept the temp pretty much at 102 but when I open to turn them it goes down a couple degrees for a few minutes. But this hatch has been more stable than any I have had before? Which is why I don't understand. what is going on. I have never candled this early before I always waited til about day 7 or 8 or later. But I was just so darn excited this time boy I hope my excitement didn't ruin all 26 eggs OMG!!! Oh and my thermometer lays down right beside the eggs, and I have 2 just in case one was wrong but they both read the same, temp and humidity. I just don't know. geesh!

9. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Incubate longer, check at 9 days. If absolutely nothing, then you should probably toss them. The only explanation i can think of is over-candling/handling, infertility, or your thermometer/hydrometer needs to be calibrated.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That explains it. I started with one of those, and bought a Hovabator Genesis when I got sick of none of my eggs ever hatching. [​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of your eggs though... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by