Getting settled in..anybody know anything about hot water heaters?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Guitartists, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, we're officially at the house now [​IMG] Trying to get unpacked and settled in. No more high speed internet either.. just my boost mobile phone [​IMG]

And to boot the hot water heater died! We've replaced both elements and thermostats but the thing still doesn't work... it's got 2-phase wiring?????I think the problem is in the wiring but I don't know anything about it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So... dirty dishes and dirty kids are piling up and the only hot water heater repairman in my area is not returning my calls [​IMG]

And now my cell battery is low so I must sign off [​IMG] Such is my life today.

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Boil water on the stove to wash babies and dishes. Replace the heater. If its more than ten years old its not worth keeping.

Good luck to you, moving is hard... I do it every two years.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It's not 2 phase. It's 240volt single phase. The black and red wires are
    both hot and the white is a neutral. The green is ground. It can hurt
    you so don't touch it.

If you are going to stay with electric hot water, which is the most expensive,
    then find an "on demand" type heater. It uses less than half the power
    and doesn't have a tank. Any plumber can install it for you.

If you have natural gas or propane then those are both cheaper to run
    but more expensive to buy.

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Check and see if you have a warranty on the home. Also check your insurance for home owners. If not give lowes a call. Last year our water heater was broke, water going all over the basement. We called lowes and ordered one over the internet and one of their repairmen/installation guys came out with it in less than one hour and we were functioning by dinner.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree. It sounds like it needs to be replaced.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, a couple hours and $500+ later I have a new hot water heater [​IMG] Apparently the newer thermostats were NOT compatible with the old tank (the original tank from when the house was built in the 40s. Can you believe it lasted THIS long!?) They're letting me make monthly payments... I'm sure DH will be in a funk tonight.... but at least he can relax in a nice warm bath! [​IMG]

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we had ours go about a year into the house. I went a day without hot water and said NO MORE.

Next time we upgrade it will be to a tankless system. At least one thing in the house will work efficiently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by