Getting silkie fever...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KV Silkies, Oct 4, 2013.

1. KV Silkies

KV Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    Hi, we are in southern wisconsin, just getting into silkies, my coop is well under way, planning on acquiring silkies this next spring and showing them at 4H with my kids. :) VERY excited! Wondering if anyone knows of any places to get show quality silkies near us? or a good place to get them shipped from? or with just starting should we try a hatchery? Our local farm and fleet has "chick days" every spring where I got my barred rocks from (years ago). any input would be great. thank you! :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] There are many dedicated silkie threads on BYC., some concerning color ie. Buff silkies, Partridge silkies - in general I like the' SILKIE THREAD,' reading thru the posts you will find people that have birds for sale.

You can go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. That would put you in touch with people who may be in your local area.

Once you have 20 posts you can participate in the BYC buy/sell/trade forums. I have helped my friend find silkies . Her last 2 were the most beautiful birds I have seen, one a buff and one a splash . The lady is a very picky breeder so sells what she isn't keeping thru the BYC ads usually Oct./Nov, Sundown Waterfowl, Germantown, NY. When she puts her ads up she has several pictures of each bird, description and appraisal of quality.

Also on BYC ads you can find real quality roosters for free or very little - just because people tend to be over run with males. You'll often find silkies.

I'm getting excited for you, silkies are such unique birds. I do have to say most cannot be accurately sexed before 4-5 mos. - so if you buy younger birds anywhere, it's a gamble The seller above doesn't offer them younger.

3. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hello & Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Drumstick diva gave you some great info! Good luck to you and your kids!

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Most hatchery birds are not going to be very good show quality - a reputable breeder would be your best option for quality birds.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. KV Silkies

KV Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thank you for all of the information! I will definitely be checking out the places you have listed. Can't wait to get my flock going this next spring (which seems like an eternity away at this point!) :) Not sure who is more excited me or the kids, it is a close tie.... [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Hopefully some of the sources will yield quality birds.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! drumstick diva gave you great advice, good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by