Getting Silkie Rooster into the Mood

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I wanna try breeding my silkie rooster to breed with my wyandotte bantam. She quit on her eggs to go baby sitting with this other hen who she shared the same box with. Her face is really red right now and I want to breed him with her, but I don't know how to. How should I?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Your boy should know what to do without any help. I guess you could put them in a pen together if he is spending "quality time" with other hens instead of her. [​IMG]

A little Barry White couldn't hurt. [​IMG]

3. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Well, he is really really really shy and has never made a mood except when his silkie hen went bald. She died. But, he's at the bottom and she's at the top where she won't accept his "things". Will it work?

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    You could always try AI if you have to. There are some videos on youtube, and the process isn't that difficult. You'd need some small, disposable pippettes, clean hands, and a little patience.

5. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    LOL! I've seen those, but I'm not sure how to "milk" him properly. I was thinking of doing that lol

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Alone time away from the flock may help.

AI is another option. I have absolutely no experience with that so I will sit back and let someone with better qualifications help you. Good luck. [​IMG]

7. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Thank You! I will try this tomorrow!

8. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Tried AI failed. Everyone was dry or had some lice. How do you get rid of them? I accidentally drew a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of blood from the Silkie.

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Lice? Go to Tractor Supply (or I think even Walmart has it) and purchase Sevin dust, then dust all of the birds. It's a gardening supply but it kills mites/lice on poultry.

How did you manage to draw blood? [​IMG] What exactly did you do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by