Getting Silver Penciled Rocks and want Jersey Giants info please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigoledude, Mar 16, 2011.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Our summers in SE Louisiana are terribly brutal. We almost never reach 100 degrees but, stay in the mid-to-high 90's from June through September! I was told that the Silver Penciled Rocks would be able to handle our climate well. Is this actually so?

However, I was wondering if the bigole Jersey Giants would do well during our sweltering heat and humidity?

I've read here in some posts, that some chickens quit laying when it gets really hot. Do either of these breeds tend to quit laying under hot summer conditions?

2. bigoledude

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Has no one here ever raised Jersey Giants in a hot-n-humid climate?

3. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I don't know how to answer you, but I am also interested in the response. I'm from Alabama here and it does get above 100 deg regularly over here. I have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, and Buff Orphingtons. However, (since I'm new to chickens) I have not had them for a whole summer yet.

I understand your questions and frustrations, as most breeds are listed on how well they tolerate the cold winter months. But here in the South, we need to know which breeds tolerate the terrible heat as well as the cold temps also.

Someone should be along soon to answer your questions. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi there - I have both breeds (in fact, I may have spoken with you on the phone in the last month, bigoledude??). I'm in Michigan, where we can get fairly humid in summers. Summers tend to not be over 100 degrees, however, there have been days in the past where it's gotten that high - never more than 2-3 days in a row, however. So long as they have access to shade, and water, I believe both of these breeds would do well. In fact, my lines are both heritage in nature, from very old time breeders...my goal from the beginning was to get tried & proven lines and keep them going. Thus, I would sure think that they'd be quite hardy. Broth breeds have single combs, and the combs help to dissipate heat.

I will say, though, that when it's extremely hot, I do offer cool treats such as frozen vegetables...allowing them to melt in a feed pan in the shade, they seem to enjoy picking at the veggies as the ice melts off of them. I have not noticed a large decrease in eggs during hot/humid conditions, probably a bit less of production in extreme days, but I've never seen a complete shut-down as far as egg producing.

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have Jersey Giants in Jacksonville. I do have lots of shady places for the girls to escape the heat and I add ice to the waterers and feed cold watermelon on the hotest days. Mine sometimes molt during the heat so egg prod would be done anyway. I think having access to plenty of water is key and shade.

Caroline

6. bigoledude

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Hey Ms. Wynette

I was a little reluctant to reveal who I was after prattling-on like an "old wash woman" during our talk. I wanted to ask so many questions and then, forgot almost everything I wanted to say!

Your birds are exactly the ones I had in mind. I have the cabinet and some of my components and, have started on my incubator. I'm looking at late May-early June for some eggs of each. If you want to reply by email, that would be fine.

Do the Jersey Giants require any extra work, say over and above what the Rocks would need?

I'm really wanting to raise some Java's also. It almost seems like a patriotic deal to help save a fine old American breed of chicken. And, to get great meat and a steady supply of eggs! Win, win is always a good thing.

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:You're funny!! It's ALWAYS good to get as many opinions as you want - BYC is a great place to do just that!

Shoot me a note with exactly what you're wanting; I do have waiting lists, but we talked a ways back so I'll try to get you in when you're ready.

8. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    We have 2 Jersey Hens. We got them from a breeder who specializes in his own line of Jerseys right here in the Phoenix area and his chickens free range. Although we don't have the humidity, we do have extreme heat here in the Valley of the Sun, and it's not unusual for it to hit 115 degrees plus in the middle of summer.

I have talked to several folks on what they do to keep their chickens cool. Some suggestions I have heard:

1. Frozen water bottles in the run and coop. They cool through their feet, so will stand on them and peck at them to stay cool.

2. Misting systems. I've heard that some love it, some don't.

3. An evap cooler. However, won't work in high humidity, so not really an option for you. Maybe some other type of cooler?

I hope that helps! This will be my first summer here with chickens, so will see how it goes.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I've not heard that they cool through their feet - I do know that they cool through their combs, and since Jersey Giants are single combed breeds, they'd have a larger area to allow for cooling than, say, an Ameraucana or a rose-combed breed. I actually have seen my stock open-mouth breathing on very, very hot days, but they seem to do fine so long as they have a shady area and water.

10. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:I've not heard that they cool through their feet - I do know that they cool through their combs, and since Jersey Giants are single combed breeds, they'd have a larger area to allow for cooling than, say, an Ameraucana or a rose-combed breed. I actually have seen my stock open-mouth breathing on very, very hot days, but they seem to do fine so long as they have a shady area and water.

Yeah, I guess so, several people have told me that they do cool off through their feet. That made sense to me, since I do too, ha ha ha! I hadn't heard about the combs, but my Jersey's have huge combs, so that's a good thing too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by