Getting soft shelled eggs/never in the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by llnmaw, Jul 5, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    While I understand from my reading this is 'normal-ish' for new layers...I think we may have contributed to it as well. We had been feeding grower to our 18 week olds and started getting eggs on 7/1. It was a soft thin shelled egg, laid from the roost..and survived the fall. Since then we are getting membrane only eggs (always laid from the roost and not surviving the drop!)

I was finally able to get to the feed store for layer feed and oyster shell. My question is how long until I might notice an improvement? Is this more of a new egg layer problem, lack of nutrient problem or a mix of the two?

We got one of those weird 'umbilical cord' looking eggs today. I tried to do a search because I recall someone posting a picture, couldn't find it. What is that all about??

Also, the eggs have consistently been laid from the roost. There is a golf ball in the nest. The nest is clean. It's private. What more do they want?!?[​IMG] The nest has been checked out, sat upon...but no egg laid in it! Arrrgggg.....

They are young, right? They will learn? Patience?

Thanks!
    ~L.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I don't know the answer here, but I am experiencing much of the same and am interested in other responses. I found a "membrane" egg on the ground this morning. My chickens are 18 1/2 weeks and I just started giving them oyster shell. They are still on grower/developer feed because I need to make a trip to the feed mill, which is my plan for tomorrow. They, too, have been checking out the nest boxes, but no action yet. Hopefully they will get this figured out. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I call them a mishap egg. I've gotten a few & mine have always been found under their roost & my hens have always laid their eggs in their boxes. I guess these SSE just slip out & the girl thinks she's just pooping. The egg has missed the last phase of development. I'm not a biologist that's just my educated guess.

4. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:hmmm, that kind of makes sense to me! Of course this confuses exactly who might be laying eggs. It does not make sense to me that the hen who has already laid a soft egg then getting the urge to lay again and going to sit on the nest. So...my nest sitter who I thought was laying maybe is just gearing up and I've got someone else laying. Which, is of course good news! The more eggs the better!!!!

If the membrane eggs survive the fall ( though I'm beginning to suspect someone is pecking it open... [​IMG] ) are they safe to eat? Do they get warmer or absorb poop bacteria without the shell? The egg I find is always in a big splat of poo. Yuck.

~L.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, I agree with 7L - my girls are faithful about laying in the nests, but when an "oops" egg happens on occasion (not just to new layers), it can be anywhere. So I do think it's kind of like pooping when a misfire occurs.
    The layer feed or oyster shell should help with shell quality. I'd also stick them up in the nest box (if you haven't seen them exploring it yet) just so they see the golf ball...

6. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Any guesses to how long until I see an improvement in shell quality now that oyster shell is available? 2-3 days? Weeks?

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If the only feed they have available is layer feed, then I'd guess a matter of days; I wouldn't think more than a week. It takes just over a day for an egg to develop, but it may take a few days for the "egg making equipment" to build up the proper minerals to do the job of the shell properly. [​IMG] That's just a guess though - I've never had egg issues that lasted more than a day or two though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by