Getting some Bourbon turkeys

Themagicone

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
Ramsey, MN
Hi .

I'm going to try raising some bourbon turkeys with my ducks and chickens. I have a 1k sqft netted pasture area then once then get bigger I have 3ac of land they can roam. My question is that I am getting 10 poults. Goal is in the fall to harvest 7 and leave 1 tom/2 hens to breed for next year. Since they aren't sexed, do I need to cull them sooner if I have more Tom's vs hens? Say I end up 6/4, is that going to be alright for the first year?

Hi .

I'm going to try raising some bourbon turkeys with my ducks and chickens. I have a 1k sqft netted pasture area then once then get bigger I have 3ac of land they can roam. My question is that I am getting 10 poults. Goal is in the fall to harvest 7 and leave 1 tom/2 hens to breed for next year. Since they aren't sexed, do I need to cull them sooner if I have more Tom's vs hens? Say I end up 6/4, is that going to be alright for the first year?
You need to eliminate the excess toms before breeding season which will start next spring. There may be some pecking order fights before then but those fights should not result in any serious injuries.

You need to eliminate the excess toms before breeding season which will start next spring. There may be some pecking order fights before then but those fights should not result in any serious injuries.

I can harvest the Tom's just like hens correct? Or are they not as good eating?

I would keep 3 females. Just in case one dies, something happens ..and the Tom has plenty of hens.

I dont think you can ever have too many females however going through winter with just one male is risky. If he dies over winter your breeding season is over before it starts. As insurance I would keep a backup in a small pen off to the side until I hatched the first clutch.

I dont think you can ever have too many females however going through winter with just one male is risky. If he dies over winter your breeding season is over before it starts. As insurance I would keep a backup in a small pen off to the side until I hatched the first clutch.
That’s how is started, actually.. ended up losing a male.

Back
Top Bottom