Getting Some Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Nov 12, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I am finally getting some coturnix, picking up 4 trios on Tuesday, 6 Tibetan and 6 Texas A&M

2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Very cool! You'll enjoy them for sure!

Now, my understanding is that 1 to 4 or 5 is a good ratio of roo to hens for Coturnix quail. Not sure if 1 to 2 is going to go smoothly for you.... boys fighting, overbred girls...the usual fowl issues.... I'm sure a voice more experienced than my own will chime in here.

That being said - I must warn you - quail math is much like chicken math, but with higher exponents!!! [​IMG]

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Congrats! [​IMG] They're fun little dudes to watch. Do you still want eggs in a couple weeks?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Awesome! Getting more is the way to go [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] I need to find someone with some around here too. I read somewhere if tibetans can be sexed by their beak, and if so I think I have 5 boys. [​IMG] If so, I need more eggs to hatch a girl or find someone with chicks.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't think you can sex tibetan by the beak. I tried that and it wasn't correct. I would check for foam in their vent or if they crow (male) and if they have an empty void, then they are female [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Oh good. I want to get eggs in the spring since my breeding pool is pretty small, but didn't want to have to wait until then to start at all. [​IMG]

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Bfrancis, definitely still want eggs. I want to start with a decent amount so I get a good clean line of birds to start to not have to inbreed them as much

Also about the sexing, the lady I am getting them from keeps them in breeder pens, 1 male to 2 females to get fertile eggs for sure. I am buying them in lots of 3 that are already kept together and keeping them in 4 different pens for a while, after I get more of them I might keep more females to male but since she already has them sexed then I am going to keep them like that. I am going to leg band the males I think, that would be easiest right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by