Getting some new chicks and have a heating question

Luanne Hott

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 7, 2011
Young Harris, GA
This weekend I will be picking up 4 - day old FBCM chicks. They are an hour from me. I will be picking them up and then have to visit one of my farrier clients afterwards before heading home. I will be at the client's trimming their miniature donkey and it usually takes nearly an hour. I will be putting the chicks in a rubbermaid type tub with hardware cloth embedding into the lid. I am concerned that they will be without heat for a couple hours. In discussing this with hubby, he reminded me that we have some converter type thing that plugs into the car lighter and has regular outlets at the other end. He suggested that we bring a heating pad and plug it in and perhaps put a towel over the mesh on the lid. It will probably be in the 40s then. Do you think this will be ok for them for a couple hours till we make it home and get them under a heat lamp?

The only thing is you don't want it too hot. You also need to think about food and water if it will be a few hours. Make sure you have a thermometer so you can keep an eye on the temp.

It being too hot and not being able to regulate the heat from the pad would be my concern as well. What you could do is only place part of the tupperware container on the pad, that way they could go between the two temps and better regulate themselves. You could also do a trial run with thermometers beforehand and see how it goes. I really wouldn't mind hearing how it all turns out.
Best of luck!

If possible you should try to see the client first. I had to transport my 4 day old chicks for 1 1/2 hours. I bought the 10hr hand warmers that hunters use and put them behind the shavings around the sides of the box they were traveling in. I also had the food and water containers in there. The car heater was on full blast and they chirped a lot at first but settled down after they found the warm sections of the box. All in all it worked
big_smile.png

You could get one of those "Hot Hands" instant heat things and put a dishtowel over it but leave room for them to get away to a cooler area of the tupperware.

It was also suggested to me by the man I am getting the chicks from to use the hand warmers. Maybe I will bring along a heat lamp and plug them in while I am at my clients'
wink.png

They might be able to nestle into the shavings better than straw or hay. I hadn't thought of the hand warmers, that's a good idea and you won't have to leave the car running while at your client's. I do agree with wrapping them in a small towel or wash cloth. And if your client is okay with you plugging in a brooder lamp while you do the work, I'd think that would be great. My interest in this is that I have been considering traveling to a fairly local hatchery myself and have been brainstorming on this too. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom