Getting some pekin ducks today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lethalfire, Aug 19, 2014.

1. lethalfire

lethalfire Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    I'm getting 2-3 pekin ducks in a couple minutes. I was told they are 3-4 months old. Is kiln dried pine bedding ok for them, that is what I use for my chickens and is all I have on hand for right now.

2. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoooo HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Brought home the Pekin ducks! I do believe I got 1 drake and 2 females (don't know the proper term) they were the last 3 pekins he had. He almost talked me into a taking a free Sebastopol goose which was BEAUTIFUL, he had a whole bunch of them and wanted rid of them but I know nothing about taking care of geese and don't have a seperate house for one and wasn't sure if they could be housed with the ducks or what kind of diet or anything. But it was REALLY pretty.

Back to the Pekins, they are 4 months old, were hatched in April. I'm sure once the girls get home they will take over naming them, even though I think we need a daisy and donald I know my oldest thinks we need an Aflac.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use pine shavings for bedding in the night pen - it ought to be fine.

Congratulations! Please keep them safe from predators - there is all kinds of good information here.

Also, The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks are books I like.

Please stay in touch, keep the photo's uploading!

4. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks Amiga! I have a couple quick questions, my computer just got fixed the other day and all of a sudden I can't see a LOT of the photo's on this forum including ones I uploaded myself, help please. And also I did end up going back and getting one of the Sebastopol geese and it acted like the 3 pekin ducks were it's long lost friends lol. How long should I keep them in the small pen I have connected to their house before letting them free range? Last night (first night pen was actually attached to their house) they all went inside their house at dark like good little ducks and a goose lol. They are 4 months old so maybe I won't have to keep them in the small run as long?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You just need to be fully aware that free range is vulnerable to predator attack - more than if safely penned. I understand we are all different, but I feel obligated to make the risks clear.

Seems to me BYC is having some technical issues this week, so you may want to report that photo problem. I forget the name of the forum, but there is one for reporting technical problems.

Folks often recommend a couple of weeks confined for new birds. I feel that making them look forward to being around (treats, pleasant company, swim pan) makes a difference.

6. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks Amiga for all the information and help I greatly appreciate it. I did find the issue thread after I posted that and it seems that pictures is an issue right now that
    they are working on so "PHEW" feel much better knowing something didn't happen to my just "fixed" computer lol.

I have a couple great danes that are pretty good at keeping predators away thankfully, but all my chickens and ducks and goose will still be shut up at night (dogs sleep in the house) and my danes are trained that if I bring an animal in this house or yard they belong here and are off limits, but let an animal step foot here that doesn't belong and it's fair game lol. For instance I inherited 5 kittens from my mother that my daughters talked me into, the dogs knew they belonged and left them alone, little did I realize we would gain 2 extra stray kittens, the dogs growled and was going to go after them til we pretty much adopted them and taught the dogs that yes they now belong here also LOL.

I do have a kiddie pool set up in their little fenced in area right now, I just couldn't wait it is too much fun watching them play in it. But I do go and sit and watch them and talk to them, the goose was with 6 others and they apparently would follow the guy around and come running when he called them so I'm hoping he/she will eventually like me and do the same. The 3 pekin ducks came from the same guy but he didn't say anything about following him, and they are scared of me, I'm also hoping that will change. I like the idea of them being penned up still does help to bond with them but I'm also anxious to let them free range because the poop in that pan my word!! It's crazy how messy it is within 1 1/2 days!!!! I don't want to put anything down to kill the grass there so not sure if there is a way to "clean" it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by