Getting some spring chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyChickenLady, Dec 21, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a starter flock right now and am starting to think about who I want to add to it next spring.

My mother is requesting white egg layers. She thinks the shells peel better after boiling. Might be true, might not be. I don't really care LoL

But I don't know who lays what color.
    Can any of you folks shoot some breed ideas at me that lay white eggs and are cold hardy?

2. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I love my Easter Egger girls! They lay some of the prettiest green, blue, and pink eggs![​IMG]

3. TinyChickenLady

I love the EEs!! I have to get mostly white egg layers but I think I'm gonna try to sneak some EEs in, too [​IMG]

4. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    My Leghorns are great layers, but you have to watch their combs in our winters. Ancona's are supposed to be really good as well.

5. TinyChickenLady

Quote:I don't think I've ever seen an ancona... What are they like as far as temperment and personality?
    ETA: Just looked at a pic. Very pretty!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    It is one of the breeds that TSC can get from Mt. Healthy hatchery. They are flighty like Leghorns are, and like to forage. Single comb and around 6 pounds. (They are on my wish list.)

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Are the white eggs that your mother is peeling coming from a grocery store? If so, that's why they're easier to peel - they're older. Shell color doesn't matter as much as how old the eggs are. The fresher they are, the harder they peel.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Lakenvelders are also white egg layers and are very pretty. I prefer the Golden over the Silver.

10. TinyChickenLady

Quote:Are the white eggs that your mother is peeling coming from a grocery store? If so, that's why they're easier to peel - they're older. Shell color doesn't matter as much as how old the eggs are. The fresher they are, the harder they peel.

Yes they are! I never thought of that actually. It makes sense though. I'll have to tell her that [​IMG]
    I don't mind what color the eggs are. I just like different breeds. But if she wants white, then I guess I'll give her the eggs and I'll keep the chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by