Getting Standard Cochins To Gain Weight

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CoopedChik, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I have two standard cochins who just don't seem to get fat, they're a little over a year old. One's a rooster the other's a hen. And the hen does lay eggs in the warm season. I'd just like to put a little more fat on them to make them cold weather hardy. My chicken feed for all the birds (who are all fat and hardy) is cracked corn, scratch feed, Manna Pro, and laying mesh. I try feeding the cochins bread, oats, and cooked brown rice along with their regular feed and they both eat alot of that but still seem thin to me.

Also I raise bantam cochins. They are all fat and hardy little birds. It's just this pair of standards, I thought maybe my other standard chickens wheren't letting them eat so I seperated them but still no luck.

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

How much do they weigh? I had a Partridge Cochin cockerel (he now lives at the neighbors' house because he was too aggressive with my Dorkings) and he was feather-puffy, but when I picked him up, he felt thinner than he looked. I never thought anything of it. Here in Vermont it has gotten down into the single digits and he is doing just fine.

Weigh your birds to see if they are about what the standard is for Cochins. I'm willing to bed they're just fine, but if you do need to bulk them up, then what you're doing sounds like the right thing. Maybe you could also limit the amount of calories they expend by keeping them in smaller quarters until they've gained weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by