Getting started incubating!

tim21

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
I recently borrowed a Hova Bater model 1583 from one of my neighbours and am going to start some eggs in the next few days, any suggestions for getting the temperature and humidity right and keeping them at the right levels?

I recently borrowed a Hova Bater model 1583 from one of my neighbours and am going to start some eggs in the next few days, any suggestions for getting the temperature and humidity right and keeping them at the right levels?
Make sure the bator is in a draft free room with a steady temp, away from windows (direct sunlight shining down on it) and out from under lamps that may be left on long enough to throw extra heat down on it. These things help cut down on fluctuations. I'd also recommend using at least 2 thermometers that have been checked for accuracy.

Ok thanks, yeah i have it in my room and i have a sheet over my window and the temp doesnt change to much, so it should be fine. And i was wondering the thermometers the we just got doesnt go down into decimal points, and the book i have says it needs to be at 37.5-37.6c how am i supposed to get it that exact!

Ok thanks, yeah i have it in my room and i have a sheet over my window and the temp doesnt change to much, so it should be fine. And i was wondering the thermometers the we just got doesnt go down into decimal points, and the book i have says it needs to be at 37.5-37.6c how am i supposed to get it that exact!
It's a lot nicer to have a thermometer to the tenths, but it is not dire, (despite what some people think) as long as your thermometer is accurate (never trust an unchecked thermometer even brand new) and stays between 37-38 you should be good. I have two thermometers iin my bator that read to the tenths and one that doesn't. I'm just happy if I can keep the darn incubator within 1 degree of the required temp.

Ok so anywhere between 37-38 should be good! Sweet! And how do you check a thermometer thats brand new? We just bought one today and i have no idea if its accurate or not?

Ok I set my eggs today. Does anyone except me obcess over checking every few minutes? Its going to be a long four weeks for me lol

Ok so anywhere between 37-38 should be good! Sweet! And how do you check a thermometer thats brand new? We just bought one today and i have no idea if its accurate or not?
The best way is to use a glass bulb thermometer that has been tested by taking a glass of ice and putting in cold water, let it sit for three minutes and place the bulb thermometer in it and let it register. It should register 32F or.......0C. Once you know how accurate (or inaccurate) that is you can place them both in the bator side by side and compare the readings.

Ok I set my eggs today. Does anyone except me obcess over checking every few minutes? Its going to be a long four weeks for me lol
What kind of eggs are you hatching? And no, I check at least every 20 minutes and am up every 1-2 hours at night to make sure I have no temp spikes...lol

What kind of eggs are you hatching? And no, I check at least every 20 minutes and am up every 1-2 hours at night to make sure I have no temp spikes...lol

Hopefully Easter Eggers or EE I believe they are called. The eggs are all light bluish

Back
Top Bottom