Getting started...need advice on plantings

Workinthedream

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Hampton Roads Area, Virgnia
Hi all, this is my second post as I just introduced myself with my first. Anyway I have a new place that is just dying to have some ducks on it. It has about a half acre pond and I plan on fencing off another 1.5 acres to give them plenty of room. Some of it is wooded (about 0.5 acres). Anyway I have already ordered 10 ducks (8 hens and 2 drakes) from Metzger that will be delivered in November. I want to plant some plants around the pond to give them something to peck at and eat as I really believe that natural is better if you can swing it. Any suggestions? I know that I will probably have to build them a pen inside their space to allow anything I plant to establish itself but I don't think it is too late to get started on some things now. What do you think?

Here are a few pics of the pond from this early spring (before anything started to really grow!)

Hi all, this is my second post as I just introduced myself with my first. Anyway I have a new place that is just dying to have some ducks on it. It has about a half acre pond and I plan on fencing off another 1.5 acres to give them plenty of room. Some of it is wooded (about 0.5 acres). Anyway I have already ordered 10 ducks (8 hens and 2 drakes) from Metzger that will be delivered in November. I want to plant some plants around the pond to give them something to peck at and eat as I really believe that natural is better if you can swing it. Any suggestions? I know that I will probably have to build them a pen inside their space to allow anything I plant to establish itself but I don't think it is too late to get started on some things now. What do you think?

Here are a few pics of the pond from this early spring (before anything started to really grow!)

Both say error but
welcome-byc.gif

That pond is just beautiful. First thing you need to do while ducklings are getting big enough to be at the pond is turtle eliminating snappers mostly they will bite off feet and also kill young ducks and ducklings, so if you have them I recommend they go first also large mouth bass will eat ducklings large mouth anything actually. As far as planting go I would look up what's native to your area and then research what is duck safe. That is such a pretty place and with native plants growing around the pond it will be gorgeous. I don't know if your planning on building them a secure house but just about all on here would agree if you plan on your ducks long term they will need a safe place to sleep at night or preds will take them out pretty quick. daytime preds are bad enough but they won't stand a chance at night. Since I don't have a natural pond I can't help you on plantings but others on here do so hopefully someone will be able to help, and what breed of ducks are you getting? and we have a lot of info in the Duck stickies top left on the duck thread.

I like weeping willows around a pond. Like Miss Lydia said, keep your duckies away from the pond till they get big enough not to be dinner, and expect the little guys to be scared to death of big water "at first". Keep your edges as clean as possible. I really think that makes a pond less appealing to the snappers and snakes.
There's a really cute short video of my group learning to transition on my website.
http://www.kelleycreekfarms.com/around-the-farm-and-gardens.html

I like weeping willows around a pond. Like Miss Lydia said, keep your duckies away from the pond till they get big enough not to be dinner, and expect the little guys to be scared to death of big water "at first". Keep your edges as clean as possible. I really think that makes a pond less appealing to the snappers and snakes.
There's a really cute short video of my group learning to transition on my website.
http://www.kelleycreekfarms.com/around-the-farm-and-gardens.html
Beautiful ducks

Thanks! I have been engrossed with the sebastopol geese and goslings for so long that I forgot how much fun those indian runners are. I've never had welsh harlequins, but the breeder didn't have enough runner eggs and put wellies in place of them. I love the entire little eclectic group! There are 5 call ducks in there too!

I ordered 10 black swedish from Metzgers today! 8 hens and 2 drakes. I have never seen any snapping turtles in the pond but I have seen a snake. Couldn't tell if it was poisonous or not. The pond does have fish in it but so far all we have caught (my 4yo son and I) are brim. There is a swamp about 2 miles from my house so I may take a ride over there and see what kind of vegetation is growing. Can you dig up stuff from a swamp and take it home? Thanks everyone!

Anyone use grasses such as pampas grass, fountain grass, etc around their pond? I like the idea of the willow tree as there are not many trees around the pond right now. Any plantings that are NOT duck/goose safe or that they don't eat?

Thanks again everyone.

Rick

I ordered 10 black swedish from Metzgers today! 8 hens and 2 drakes. I have never seen any snapping turtles in the pond but I have seen a snake. Couldn't tell if it was poisonous or not. The pond does have fish in it but so far all we have caught (my 4yo son and I) are brim. There is a swamp about 2 miles from my house so I may take a ride over there and see what kind of vegetation is growing. Can you dig up stuff from a swamp and take it home? Thanks everyone!
Unless private property I'd say yes. or government land. Let us know what you find. Congrats on the ducklings your going to have so much fun with your son. Don't underestimate the fact that just because you haven't seen any snappers they are there. I'd try baiting and see if you catch one then you'll know.

Back
Top Bottom