Getting started raising chickens

Lifestudent

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
We bought our baby chicks about a month ago. They're getting big enough to go outside, especially since the weather's warmed up. Unfortunately though, we had a large oak fall on our fence and shed, so we have to wait till the fence and shed are replaced before moving the chickens outside. We don't have a large lot (1/4 acre), and we don't want them in the way of all the repair work that'll be going on over the next couple weeks. In the mean time, we've got a dozen pullets of varying sizes in the family room. They make interesting pets, and have started jumping to the top of the 24" tall boxes we have connected together for their temporary home.

My wife grew up with her folks raising chickens and my grandparents raised them, plus I raised chickens for a couple years while stationed in the Philippines. Still, we've got a lot of learning to do.

My wife has named every one of our pullets, and can even remember their names. She was sitting next to their indoor home and one jumped up right next to her. Yes, she started talking to it as though it could understand her.
smile.png

frow.gif
Nothing wrong with naming your chickens. Just don't plan to eat them.
lol.png

Marie tells me about her day.

No, we don't plan to eat them. We just plan on eating eggs. I enjoy watching my wife dote over these pullets. I need to get a picture the next time one jumps up next to her.

Well we're one step closer to moving our chickens out of the house. Right now they're in the laundry room. My wife spends a lot of time down there every day playing with her chickens. Yesterday we went to Lowe's and ordered a shed kit, lumber for the floor, and everything else to build a chicken coop. It's funny, but the shed, while it's the most expensive item, isn't even half the cost of this project. I figure an 8'x10' shed should be big enough. We got a dual track storm window that opens with a screen for ventilation. I'm also going to have to cut a chicken doorway so our hens can get in and out without leaving the doors that are big enough for a lawn tractor open.

Back
Top Bottom