Getting started raising SQ chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindseyM12, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am REALLY wanting to start raising and selling show quality chickens/chicks/hatching eggs.
    I was wondering how do I start? I need to know some of the most popular breeds of chickens that poeple want to buy and places to get them. What is the best way to get known?
    Thanks!

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The best way to start is to go to some shows, be patient stay out of the way but spend time in the pen area when the judging is not going on and see if you can sort out for yourself the breeds that you think you may enjoy. When you see an opportunity speak to the breeders and get as much information as you can. Take your time, the research is half the fun.

Get a the standard of perfection and begin to get a picture of what the good ones look like, ask questions, ask more questions and pay attention. Breeders dont (in general) mind helping folks that pay attention and act on good information. Most breeders have little patience for those that simply want to know where and for how much they can buy some birds.

Start with only a breed or two and get to know what the good ones look like. In the beginning they all look alike but after a while you can see the top ones and the bottom ones at a glance.

My best advice is to make the learning a significant part of the experience.

Find a mentor

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Around here you will be able to find a few folks that will be glad to point you in the right direction. Just come to the shows and start asking questions. 85% of the exhibitors that are in or come to NC will be happy to talk with you. Wait till after they are down getting their birds in the shows. If you wait till after 9am, coop-in cut off time, you should be ok.

NC shows:
    Oct 30: Morganton/Marion - Should be a very nice show.
    Nov 6: Salisbury - Old English Jamboree - Only old english in show, but everything forsale outside.
    Nov 27: Winston-Salem - Normally largest of the Fall shows.

There are some fairs that have small show, but these are your best bets at meeting and talking to breeders.

Matt

4. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Do u think cochins would be a good breed? I was thinking somthing different, maybe splash?

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Bantam Cochins are popular. There are a couple great breeders in this area. There are usually quite a few in shows. Those in the selling areas that are good quality normally sell fairly well. Whites, Black, and Mottled are well represented in NC. Blues and Splash are not. Splash is not a recognized color/variety in cochins. For breeding you cannot have a flock of just Splash. You have to have Blacks and Blues as well. Breeding Splash to splash for a couple generations will result in a washed out splash with few to no markings. Breeding in Blue helps maintain color. Use the Black to help with quality and keeping good lacing in the blue feathers. There is ALOT more to this.

Hatching alot and Culling heavily is important if you want to maintain a Show flock. Getting known will take years of showing and placing high in the shows.

BTW: If you plan to make money at this I would suggest a different 'hobby'. The only money in show birds is what you put into them. You will never come close to breaking even.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by