1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Getting Started Showing Birds.

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Nate Caskey, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Nate Caskey

Nate Caskey In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2017
    I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but, I want to get into breeding and showing chickens. I have no experience and I have no idea how to start. Does anyone have any information on how to get started?

MrsMistyReal likes this.
  2. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
  3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    I don't show as of now, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. Here are some links though that I found useful. http://pathfindersfarm.com/Articles.html

As for breeding: take your time getting started. Buy a copy of the American Standard of Perfection and memorize the first 30 odd pages. You won't find any better information than there. Find the best breed for your flock goals and climate, and then find a top breeder of them. You can do that by finding the applicable breed club and checking the breeders' directory. If you can, purchase started or adult birds, as their quality can be judged by then. They'll be pricey, but worth it. Your first year, hatch enough that you have a solid selection for the next generation. Do not discount production; even bantams should be useful. Kill and eat any birds that do not make the cut. Find a mentor and listen to what they say: advice is no use if it is ignored. Don't expect to win at shows right away, you should be in this for the long run.

Oh, and join formerly mentioned breed club. Being a member gives you a foot in the door in terms of getting good stock, plus the information available from many of them is invaluable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Crowing

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    I agree with everything Banty said!

MrsMistyReal likes this.
  5. Nate Caskey

Sep 16, 2017
    @BantyChooks I have already ordered The American Standard of Perfection book but it hasn't come in yet, but could you elaborate on this breed club I'm not quite sure I understand.

BantyChooks likes this.
  6. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    There are breed clubs for probably every or nearly every recognised breed. Joining the one for your chosen breed often gives you access to a page or newsletter with some more 'insider' information on breeding and caring for those birds. Not always, but that is the case with many. Being a paid member also helps breeders realise you are serious about improving your stock if they are deciding whether or not to sell birds to you. Does that make sense?

7. Nate Caskey

Sep 16, 2017
    Yes, Thank you so h.muc

BantyChooks likes this.
  8. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
  9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Study your standard.

Buy the best birds you can afford.

Attend shows and talk to people who show. They will usually share their knowledge and tips on what to look for in a show bird.

Hatch a lot, only a small percentage of chicks will grow into show worthy birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: