Getting started with quail. New member here.

Primus Coturnix

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Well finally signed up. Been looking through threads the past few months.
I just started my first batch of Coturnix jumbo browns on the 13th (30 eggs in my brinsea eco 20). Well I went to candle the eggs yesterday and slightly cracked one of the shells it is just a slight crack should I just toss it or is there hope and is candling really required. With the brinsea 20 there are rails you have to manuever and that was the issue with the cracking. I would rather not have to candle and would just take the rails out for lockdown. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way thanks for all the info that has gotten me to this point that I read while I lurked here.

I just started my first batch of Coturnix jumbo browns on the 13th (30 eggs in my brinsea eco 20). Well I went to candle the eggs yesterday and slightly cracked one of the shells it is just a slight crack should I just toss it or is there hope and is candling really required. With the brinsea 20 there are rails you have to manuever and that was the issue with the cracking. I would rather not have to candle and would just take the rails out for lockdown. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way thanks for all the info that has gotten me to this point that I read while I lurked here.

Just leave it and if you want try a bit of melted wax on there go ahead. If it starts to smell remove it. Im quite new too. Learned a lot on here though
welcome-byc.gif

I personally don't candle unless I'm short on space in my hatcher. Every time you handle the eggs is another opportunity for bacteria intrusion or physical damage to occur. I've found I get the best hatches by just leaving the bator alone unless it is to add water or move eggs in or out.

I touch the eggs only at the following times; Collection, upon setting in the bator, and the last time when I move them to my hatcher. Granted I do often candle the upper turner in my bator when I'm changing water because I can do so without touching the eggs (I put the candling light on the top of the egg instead of the bottom).

To repair a cracked egg, wax is actually a good idea, I'd never considered it before. Another common way to repair cracked eggs is clear nail polish. Of course neither of those things are foolproof and you can just as likely ruin the egg, but you have nothing to lose really. Cracked eggs will dehydrate in the incubator very quickly.

Used the wax technique and it worked great. Well I hope. I do not plan on touching them until lockdown now.

Back
Top Bottom