1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting started

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DDflamingo, May 2, 2016.

1. DDflamingo

DDflamingo New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Hello, after a long enough wait, or holding out, I am now a momma yo 6 baby chicks - 2 ameracaunas, 2 silver laced wyandettes, and 2 black australorps. They are close to a week old for all of them. I also have 3 bantam chickens that are about a yr old, acquired from a friend about a month ago. I love it all!! During the next cpl weeks, we will construct the Big House for all of them. Nothing too fancy for the get go, but something that can definitely be added to and adjusted along the way.. I have been referring to this site aND a cpl others for the past yr or so and look forward to learning more along the way!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock. Definitely build that coop bigger than you think you will need - as you already sense, they are addictive.

3. DDflamingo

DDflamingo New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Indeed. My husband would swear I said a few chickens last yr when I told him I wanted them in the spring. Nah, I would never have said that, lol..
    I work from home so I love sitting outside and listening and watching the bantams now..

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I am a big believer in using garden sheds as coops - they can be modified easily to accommodate a growing flock size [​IMG]

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. The "Coops" section and "Coops and Runs" forum should also give you some ideas, as may this link...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1094945/coop-plans-for-a-super-beginner/10

All the best
    CT

5. DDflamingo

DDflamingo New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Thank u such for the information. We r gonna try to do as economical as possible. We'll be using some stuff we already have and from a friend. But the size will be 4x8, with an 8x10 run. I have looked at so many coops, and it seems pretty much anything will go :). Chickens seem to adapt well and it is more of adaption that make it better for us to keep them happy, lol..
    Still have lots of reading and learning!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by