Getting Started!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3DPhamily, Jan 22, 2017.

1. 3DPhamily

3DPhamily Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Connecticut
    We took advantage of the "January Thaw" to get started building our first ever chicken coop. We won't have chickens until Spring, of course, but we want them to have a nice cozy home when they're ready.

To keep from having to dig post holes into the rocky New England ground (we aren't building on a level spot), we used deck footers that we found at our local HD! We set 4"x4" posts in and used the level to get a nice, plumb deck.

[​IMG]

We used some scrap/reclaimed 2"x4" boards for the floor joists.

[​IMG]

Then we squared up 2 halves (because we were bringing it home in our minivan, lol) of a 4'x8' piece of 3/4" plywood for the floor.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look level, but it is!! :)

Our last step of the day was to place the pallet walls...

[​IMG]

From here we will add a second level of pallets for the walls, sheathing for the exterior, a slanted roof, doors, windows, etc.

Based on the footer layout, our intentions were to attach the chicken run to the right side of the coop. However, with the gap that we now have with the levelers, any suggestions on predator-proofing the run transition?

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your input!

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    [​IMG] Congrats for breaking ground on your first coop! Are you asking what to put between the bottom of your coop and the ground to keep out predators?

3. 3DPhamily

3DPhamily Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Connecticut
    Yes, particularly in the transition between the coop and the prospective run (on the right side of the coop).

4. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I have my run start right up against my coop and around my run i use the 2 x 3" black garden fencing which I also run along the underneath edge of my coop. I wasn't finished painting the coop yet in this photo but you can see how the fencing continues along underneath.
    [​IMG]

5. 3DPhamily

3DPhamily Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the advice. More pictures of our build to follow. :)

6. 3DPhamily

3DPhamily Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Connecticut
    We did some more work on our coop!

[​IMG]

We added the second layer of pallets and overlaid the corners to add stability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We cut the top half of the pallets that run along the back of the coop and tied the front and back together with 2x4s. We had lumber from an old pergola hanging around so we used that for the rafters. We attached the rafters to the pallets with roofing straps that we also had from the pergola.

Not gonna lie...we are having fun using "trash" to build our coop!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We put the second layer of pallets on the ends of the coop, removing one of the 2x4 supports to allow the pallet to be tied into the rafters. From there we cut the pallet to match the angle of the roof.

[​IMG]

Framing out the door took a few minutes and a bit of an argument with the level...

But, then it got really cold so we went inside and built the nesting boxes (also out of lumber that we had on hand, yay!) which are 12x12x24 :)

[​IMG]

More updates to follow!

7. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    It's looking really good!!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    BRAHAHAhahaha!

What will you use for siding?
    Got plans for windows and ventilation?

Good that you are getting started early!
    If you can run power out there(and you'll want it next winter for water) you won't even need a brooder for long.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

9. 3DPhamily

3DPhamily Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Connecticut
    Siding is a bit of a question at the moment... We are deciding between sheets of 1/8 in plywood or siding with slats of pallet wood as in the image below (obviously not our coop... but "vision"). The concern with the plywood is long term durability (and cost). The pallet wood siding seems as though it might allow for too much "wind gap". Needless to say we will take any and all recommendations!

[​IMG]

We haven't yet framed out the window/windows placement. A lot of the ventilation will come from the front and back roof overhangs which we intend to cover in hardware cloth. We have dozens of old/antique windows that we are contemplating using one to the right of the front door OR two smaller windows on the sides of the coop to allow for a "cross breeze". Thoughts?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds good, eave ventilation on a slant roof like that is good.
    Will roof overhangs be on sides too, for rain protection?

Framing the windows might be tricky within the pallets.

What is your climate/location?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by