Getting Stuck Membrane off a Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrieCheese23, Apr 14, 2016.

1. BrieCheese23

BrieCheese23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Long story short, I found one chick shrink wrapped into his egg after he began to zip and stopped overnight. When I peeled back the shell I found the membrane was glued and hardened to him. I helped him out and put some more water in the incubator for those still hatching (four more have hatched since today and I can see two more pips, so it seems the rest are doing okay).He seems fine and is up and walking around, but he still has a section of membrane over his back and a piece of shell stuck to his wing. I don't want to rip the down off, but he is starting to get fluid build up around the piece stuck on his back and I definitely want to get it off. I plan to use warm water on a washcloth held to the area. Is there any particular tricks anyone can recommend?

2. BrieCheese23

Apr 10, 2016
    He is clean now and very chatty since his momma put him back in the incubator.

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Sounds like what you did, worked!

Nice job. [​IMG]

4. BrieCheese23

Apr 10, 2016
    Thank you :) He is now being sat with and cuddled and enjoying every minute of it even if he is a hunchback for the time being. He just wouldn't settle in the brooder with his siblings, but hes quiet now :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by