Getting the chicks to go back into the coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MI55TR355, Sep 13, 2016.

1. MI55TR355

MI55TR355 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    They have no problem coming out of the coop in the morning on their own and down the ladder. But they never go all thr way inside on their own. I always find them in the evening huddled together on the ground. I love them inside by hand.
    Any advice?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Go to your local dollar store and buy a cheap garden solar light. Pop it out during the day to charge then late afternoon put it in their house. They will follow the light inside when it starts to get dark. After a few hours it will go flat and turn itself off but they will all be asleep by then. After a couple of weeks you won't need it any more.

I would also reduce the angle of their ladder by putting a brick or something under one end. When the get bigger you can take that away too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Light in the coop is a very good idea as suggested above.

One thing I learned is that just because chicks and chickens know to go DOWN the ramp does not mean they know how to go back UP the same ramp into the coop. We had 2 persistent stragglers who couldn't make the connection, and weren't smart enough to follow the 8 other chickens who figured it out for themselves. The first three nights I carried them into the coop and put them in, but they didn't learn anything from that.

Finally I made them walk up the ramp (hands on either side to guide them)-- they need to actually walk up the ramp under their own power to make the association. One by one use your hands to push them along, but don't carry them -- make them do the ramp- I've had chicks as young as a week not have any problem making it up our ramp, though as appps mentioned, making it less steep could help too. Here's our ramp and the week old chicks following mom (not the group that had the problem learning).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. MI55TR355

Aug 24, 2016
    Thank you both. I did adjust the ladder, and they went up 4 of 6 steps before jumping off.
    At least progress is in motion.
    I'll get a light this evening

5. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Almost there! The other thing I did when training them to their new coop (wasn't done with the main coop with the first group) and nighttime was throw a treat bonanza - mealworms, watermelon- whatever they really love to eat in the coop. I recommend having the treats on the floor or the roost because you want the "I got a yummy treat" association to be with entering the coop as opposed to coming from you - then as habit kicks in, wean off the treats.

6. MI55TR355

Aug 24, 2016
    So I fix the ladder, and I added a light. But my chicks still won't go up at night.

Is it because I had since babies and they never learn from a bigger hen?

7. MI55TR355

Aug 24, 2016
    Also, I have been adding treats night

8. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Can you send a picture of your set-up, i.e. the ladder/entrance to the coop?

9. MI55TR355

Aug 24, 2016
    I will take one tomorrow in the daytime. I have to fix this problem. This is not the face of a Happy Chicken,[​IMG] and they all gave me this look.

10. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Oh, the poor baby!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by