Getting the coop and run ready for our chicken.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dolihen1, Apr 4, 2017.

1. dolihen1

dolihen1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Part of my husband's design is to include the space under our little barn for part of the run. It is high enough for them to come out all around, so he is putting chicken wire all around it. My question is there any reason to put anything under the barn and in the run to keep the chickens healthy? I know they should be able to find worms and bugs, and he plans to rake it out when needed. Would DE be helpful?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Welcome! Is under your barn high enough for you to get under it-----to collect a egg or tend a broody hen that gets under it, to clean, etc. If Not I personally would not allow them under it(but you can) because of future problems.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The height question that PDR brings up is important.

Under the coop can be a great part of the run, I call it the 'under run'.
    Stays dry under there and in this milid winter they were able to dust bath under there all winter.

My coop shed is about 24" off the ground, I can crawl under there but it's not fun.
    I wired off part of under the coop but only 4' back (and 8' wide) so I don't have to crawl too far if needed.

Chicken wire will not be predator safe, I used 14ga 2x4 welded wire and added an apron so nothing could dig in and they couldn't dig out.

1 person likes this.
  4. dolihen1

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Thank you.

5. dolihen1

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Thanks. You both bring up things we hadn't considered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by