1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting the feathering but keeping the

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by BirdHead, Nov 10, 2015.

1. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    Malays game and vigor as a oriental (wouldn't say wild) by old gamefowl by crossing (preferrably the rare blue) Sumatra stag with a malay hen and breed the cocks game and vigor into the pullets. Then making a working hybrid with far less holes in the genetics. (Health, prone to diseases, defects not visible). May take a good several years of first two of crossing then line and inbreeding and possibly infusions of the out ward crosses. No?

2. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Are you trying to make a blue Malay?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  3. BirdHead

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma

No, I was either going to use a old English game or this unsure pure blue Sumatra stag/pullet to get the height, build, comb, stance, gameness and vigor of the Malay but with the feathering of one of the two breeds

4. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Satsumadori. Others are already working on them. I'd try to find someone and at least get some pointers from someone with first hand experience.

5. BirdHead

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    I ordered the genetics of the fowl off of amazon, I know breeding is reverse in chickens. I just never tried infusing for just certain feathering. May just use my grey on a malay hen to pull more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by