1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting the girls ourtside.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joeyb2868, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Joeyb2868

Joeyb2868 New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and love what I see so far and also new to having chickens. I have 13 assorted brown layers hens and I think they are ready to get out of my house. I have them in my mechanical room right now and they are just over 2 months old. I will be using a plastic 10x10 shed that I have in the yard will a run attach to it. I remember reading somewhere on another site that you should keep them in their new coop for 3-4 days without letting them out so they get use to the coop. Is there any other advice or things that I should now before making this move. I want to try and do it this weekend. The one part I'm a little worried about is the temperature change going to the outside. I live in Chicago. Thanks for the help.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Couple of questions...

Are they fully feathered? What temperature is the room where they are at now compared to night time temp in the coop?

1 person likes this.
  3. Joeyb2868

Joeyb2868 New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    I believe they are fully feathered yes. The pic as my profile is a pic of all the girls. The temp is so up and down right now. Yesterday was 40 and it going to be in the 20's this weekend. Still getting down in the teens at night sometimes.The room they are in is at about 60 degrees at night. I have been opening the escape window in the mechanical room for a few hours a day to let the fresh and chilly air in the room. Hoping they feel the cooler air. I would have to check the coop at night for temp. I will have a heat lamp in the coop as well.

4. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in NW Ohio near the Michigan border. I moved my 8 week old chicks from the side room of the garage to their outdoor coop last weekend and except for the first night I have never even seen them huddled together. (I think they huddled more from being afraid than being cold actually.) It's been between the teens and the 40's the last 5 days and every time I check on them they are spread out all over the 4x6 coop or up on the roosts or exploring the nesting boxes. They look really happy and not stressed at all. Saturday I will open up the pop door for them to explore the lower run and see how that goes.

I did however take them out to the coop several times for a few hours during the day to get them acclimated before the "big move" and also turned off any heat to the garage at night.

5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    They look well feathered to me! They should probably be ok with the temp but I would move them out during the day when it's warmer so it's not such a shock. Obviously be careful of fire with a heat lamp in the coop! I would keep them confined to the coop for a couple days until you see that most of them are roosting at night before letting them out in the run.

Keep us updated!

6. Joeyb2868

Joeyb2868 New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be removing the heat lamp from the room tonight. I have had it about 6ft of the floor the last month. I believe Sunday or Monday will be the best time to move them. During the day will be about 40 degrees. Will keep posting updates and maybe some pics. Thanks again!!

7. Joeyb2868

Joeyb2868 New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    The girls getting use to their new coop today. The move went well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Yeah! Looks like they have lots of space and everything they need!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by