1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting the girls to lay...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MoodyChicken, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So I have breeding pens set up... but no eggs! There's a light in the coop, a half red half white heat lamp. They've got a well balanced diet. All the hens have good weight, squishy bums, their combs are glossy, but no eggs. They were laying before I set them in with the roos, but now they've stopped. It's like they're protesting. [​IMG] They're not stressed, but they're just not laying. Is there anything else I can do to convince them that they need to lay eggs? Should I serenade them with romantic songs? hahah.

2. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    Good luck with that. Sometimes I think my girls are holding 'em in for a slight, real or imagined. They have to lay eventually.

3. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Ha, yeah. But I promised a kindergarten class I'd have eggs for them in two weeks. Looks like that's not happening.

4. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Bribe 'em![​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:It was easy to isolate that statement.

Are they breeding? If so, after they are removed from the roos, they should lay fertile eggs for several weeks.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I smell a chicken revolt [​IMG]

7. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    digitS' :

Quote:It was easy to isolate that statement.

Are they breeding? If so, after they are removed from the roos, they should lay fertile eggs for several weeks.

Steve

Not 100% sure if they've made the connection. The boys are all very new to it and clumsy. lol. But yeah. That would work. I just wanted to get some eggs for a little kindergarten class to hatch. Guess they'll have to wait.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by