Getting the Humidity Up

MissJenny

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Assuming I can get the humidity stable in the first place, when I go into lock-down, how will I get the humidity up. It seems to go up and down inexplicably. I think I need some hatch buddies. Is there anyone who can hold me hand through this for a couple of days... or even through the whole hatch?

Jenny

What kind of incubator are you using?

One trick is to add wet warm sponges in the bater under a vent hole so you can remoisten as needed.

This is a homemade incubator. I thought I could do with just one sponge, but when I added a second one the humidity shot up quite a lot -- a lot more than by merely adding more water to the first. I wonder if cutting the second sponge in half will give me better accuracy.

Thank you.
love.gif
I'm pretty nervous.

Do you know if I need to let the eggs "rest" after they arrive?

Jenny

I don't know if it will give you different results, but i use thin wash rags for humidity instead of sponges. This was out of availability more than anything, but now it's my method.

As far as letting the eggs rest ..... i have heard both sides. Some folks say to go ahead and put them in the 'bator and just don't turn them for the first 24 hours. This is because of the thought that they could have started incubating during shipment. This idea is more likely in the summer months, of course.

What humidity are you trying to achieve?

Thank you -- my goal is to maintain the humidity at 45 to50% for the first 18 days and then crank it up to 70% through hatch. Is that right?

I want my temperature to be between 97 and 101.

Right now my humidity fluctuates between 40% and 60%. My temp wants very much to set at 105. I have a reostat on my light -- my adjustments are very very slight.

Are my goal numbers correct?

Jenny

Quote:
That is right!!! 97 is too low. 99.5 is optimum. 105 will kill them. However!!! Things will change alot when you set the eggs. You have to set the eggs then wait about 8 hours for things to settle down. Then adjust.

Quote:
Well, you will find a great lot of opinions on how to do that, but you're in the right neighborhood. I let my humidity dry out a bit, and then if it jumps some right after i re-wet my cloths, i'm not too worried about it. I also try not to let my humidity go over 55 or 60 during lock down.

But like i said, there are a lot of methods out there, and you have to find what works for you.

Oh, that is priceless -- I would not have known to wait 8 hours -- I would have dived in and fiddled with it right away -- I'm like that.

You have been wonderfully re-assuring. I will find what works... I hope what I do works. I keep forgetting that half these eggs are going under the hen. Surely Louisa know what she's doing.

So I need to be between 97.5 and 99.5. Good to know... I thought it was a wider margin. Right now my humidity is good... 50% and my temp is at 102... I can go to bed now and see what it is in the morning.

Thanks so much -- I am going to keep a log of temperatures and humidity levels.

The eggs come tomorrow. Cross everything for them.

Jenny

Last edited:
Quote:
No, no.

More like between 99.5 and 101. I generally aim for 100.
wink.png
102 will work, but then if you have a temp spike from 102, it could get dangerous. . .

Quote:
No, no.

More like between 99.5 and 101. I generally aim for 100.
wink.png
102 will work, but then if you have a temp spike from 102, it could get dangerous. . .

Yes 99.5 is the best. 102 too hot. They will cook.

Back
Top Bottom