Getting them out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbrad, Jan 25, 2009.

1. sbrad

sbrad New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    I just bought six five month old Barred Rock pullets yesterday. This is my first chicken experience and my wife thinks I'm crazy!
    Anyway, today was their first full day in their new coop and they wouldn't go outside into their run all day. They just sat their eating feed all day. They were raised thus far as free range so I wonder if I'm going to have a problem getting them out or it will just take some time getting used to their new digs. I tried kicking them out a few times and they didn't like that one little bit and kept coming right back in. Should I just leave them alone?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Congratulations!! Actually, you should leave them locked in their new coop with no access to the outside for at least a week, then open the door to the run and give them time to come out on their own. They will, don't worry. But keeping them locked up will give them time to make their new coop their home and then once they're outside they will come back to it to lay, eat, and roost, all on their own.

3. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Leave them alone, they are just not yet used to the new digs, pretty soon they will be comfortable with it.

4. sbrad

sbrad New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    Quote:You just confirmed what I had already suspected...that these chickens are smarter than me!
    Lol. I'll go lock em up now. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by