Getting them to love you...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secuono, Mar 13, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My duckies are so not loving me...more so than the new chicks don't. Chicks easily come back curious to see what I want. But the ducks...they stay away and lay to nap far from me. What should I do to get them to at least stop running away in pure horror...lol

2. fishinchicken

fishinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    I felt the same frustration at first. Then after a few days of attention they started to come around. When I am at work and at night I play the radio to help them get used to the noise. Everytime I came into the basement to check on things they freaked out. The noise of the radio seems to make them more mellow to my talking and moving around the room. Try to move cautiously and quietly talk to them...bribery worked too for me. Some smooshed peas and applesauce made them love me for a little bit each evening. Good luck...it is trial by error if you ask me. Don't give up.

3. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    how old are your ducks? I would suggest you find a suitable cage or something like.. Place the cage where people walk past regular. Put the ducks in there, avoid touching them, but keep walking past the cage, (they will soon realise your not going to hurt them) once they stop looking afraid, and can stay sitting down relaxed when u walk past, you sit by the cage do silly baby voices etc so the recognise your voice is friendly, once they are looking more relaxed offer food by hand.. Then sit with them in a small area just offering them food by hand and talking to them, place food on your lap so they jump up, then gently put arms into cuddles with them, google how to pick up ducks correctly, .. its all about trust hope that helps

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    3 are almost 3 weeks, 3 are almost 2 weeks.

My little dog and my calico cat would eat them if they weren't in the bird room.
    The big dog would knock it all over and accidentally step on them. The other cat is fine.
    Either way, I leave a window open so it would get very cold at night, too cold for them even with the light.
    So no on the 'make them part of the family' thing. Plus we are rarely around on the 1st floor, they would have to be on the stairs, lol.

5. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

Peas. Peas are the answer to most things duck [​IMG]

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    HAH! Ducks... Poor little buggers are crazy. They're sort of like cats, like you only when they want to. [​IMG]
    That being said, the advice given is probably your best bet. [​IMG]
    Hold them a lot even if they hate it at first. Eventually they'll get used to you handling them.

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Yea, they make an insane amount of noise ...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by