1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting tired of the stinky brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Jul 27, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    My girls are 2 1/2 weeks old, and although it's not a putrid smell, per se, I have to admit that they really are stinking up the joint.

I broke out my bag of Sweet PDZ that I bought at the feed store and sprinkled about a half a coffee cup of it over the most offensive areas (and yes, I cleaned out the litter a few days ago!), topped it with a handful of shavings, and voila!, just like that, the smell was gone. Genius stuff! If you don't have it, go get it.

It's made to keep down the eye-watering misery of ammonia that builds up in horse stalls, but works like a charm in brooders or coops.

Susan

2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I need to try some of that stuff. Mine are a little smelly themselves. I've cleaned their brooder out a few times.

jackie

3. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    I need to get some of that, too. My 5 guineas stink WAY more than my dozen chicks, and I do complete changes of shavings every other day.

We go through a lot of pine shavings. [​IMG]

Jess

4. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    When my chicks were just a few weeks old, I cleaned their brooder box out once or twice a day. It was a little bit of work, but it kept the smell to a minimum. Also lessened the chance that they'd have poop on their feet when we picked them up to cuddle them!

Susan

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:It's always great:
    "OH little chickie"

Pick it up

"ewww little chickie"

as you now go to wash your hands off of that nasty stinky cecal poo in the shape of a foot print on your palm.

6. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Mmm..and what's even better is when you finally convince a finicky friend to pick up the little chick ("c'mon! how can you resist? she'll fall asleep in your hands! she's the tamest one!") and THAT chick has poop on its feet...

Susan

7. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I went out and bought some Sweet PDZ and sprinkled it in their brooders. I moved the guineas out to the shop because they became too flighty.

I got the powder but they also had granuales....what did you buy?

jackie

8. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hi, I bought the powdered kind. I thought the pellets would be more for a wet, rank horse stall. The powder gets into the nooks and crannies and sucks up the bits of moisture and *chickie stink* quite well.

Susan

9. jody78

jody78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    I use Zeolite but it just doesn't seem to be working all that well… [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by