Getting tonsils out tommorrow. Help. (update)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by maybejoey, Oct 13, 2011.

1. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I am so scared. Tommorrow I am getting my tonsils taken out.[​IMG] Does it hurt? ( during the surgery and after the surgery) I know it is best for me to get them, out now instead of when I am older. But I dont know.[​IMG] Has anyone else gotten out there tonsils? advice for making it heal quicker hurt less anything, I just want to hide.[​IMG]. The only good part is that I get all the ice cream in the world after words.[​IMG] What happens after you get them out, does your voice change, like different foods and hate the ones you used to like, Mouth swell, Anything else? How laong does it take to heal?

Any answered questions will help.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Stock up on jello, shake ingredients and popsicles!

I had mine out when I was 4. I don't remember the surgery, but I remember my throat really hurting for days afterwards.

Only cold stuff made it feel better.

3. maybejoey

Quote:Thankyou, anything else? My grandam told me to sleep and eat a raw ostrich egg daily. Where am I supposed to get an ostrich egg, I think I will need a six pack. I think my g-mas crazy.[​IMG]

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I never had my tonsils out, but lots of ice cream sounds really good.
    You will be fine. They take tonsils out all the time. Don't worry. [​IMG]

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Best wishes to you! I have heard that it is a little tougher on adults than children who have it done -- no fun either way! I've never had them out, but I'm sure your tastes will eventually return to normal. I wouldn't think your voice would change permanently. Sleep will be good. I've heard milk products are a no-no for a little bit after surgery. Hopefully, you are better in no time. I am sure they will give all sorts of paperwork on what you can and can't have and what to expect.

6. maybejoey

Quote:Dangit. No milk products that means no yogurt or ice cream.[​IMG]

7. maybejoey

Thankyou everyone for your help, the worst part is that I dont get to eat or drink anything after 12.00 tonight.[​IMG]

8. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i was 17.....it hurts...you dont feel anything durning surgery...(you should be knocked out).....it will hurt after for about 3 days....
    you dont want to talk much.....i wanted a steak and italian bread after...and thats what i ate....it took a long time to get about 2 bite down!...
    just rest and enjoy the time you get to do nothing!....your voice does not change.....you will go back to normal except you wont get as many
    sore throats!....i did have sinus problems after i had them out.....but you will be fine!...good luck to you!....post us and let us know how you made out!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I never had mine out, but my daughter did when she was very young. It's helpful to be as quiet as possible...not use your voice in order to let your throat rest. Also, there's a throat spray that helps to numb it a bit...I'm forgetting the name of it right now.

Good luck. Breathe slowly and deeply to calm yourself tonight. Let us know how it went [​IMG]

10. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I had mine out when I was four, also. My sister and I had them out on the same day. It hurt when I woke up and I was just quiet. My sister was screaming her head off and made her hurt worse. We got McDonald's milk shakes.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by