Getting two rubber eggs from one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenniferCNY, Aug 28, 2016.

1. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Two weeks ago one of my Barred Rocks laid her first egg at 19 weeks old. I have been getting one egg from her every day since then except for one day where she skipped a day as she switched from laying in the late afternoon to the morning. We are now getting an egg a day from her still, just every morning now instead of afternoon. Perfectly formed.

Then about a little more than a week ago another Barred Rock started laying and we got an egg every day from her for 6 days in the afternoon. Both were laying in the nests.

Everything was great! Two perfect little eggs a day.

Then on Thursday I discovered one of their eggs (from the second one to start laying) in the roost. It was a rubber egg. The next morning (Friday) I checked the roost first thing in the morning and discovered a rubber egg and a shell-less egg side-by-side in the roost, right where the first rubber egg had been the day before. Same thing yesterday morning. Then this morning I went out really early to see if I could confirm which hen it was and I found two eggs in the roost: one rubber egg and one half shell-less/half rubber egg right next to it under the hen I suspected was doing this (the hen that has been laying a little over a week),

Both eggs are fully formed: white and bright orange yolk. But they are definitely separate eggs. I've done a little bit of searching online and haven't found much about two eggs being laid multiple days in a row. Has anyone had anything like this happen?

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I had the same problem. Check out (soft shells) in chicken behavior and egg laying. GC

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Not unusual for new layers to lay thinshell or soft(no shell) eggs.
    Do you only have the 2 pullets?
    What and how exactly are you feeding?

4. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome and replies. Apparently asking for help fixed the problem! No rubber or shell-less eggs since Sunday. Just two sweet little eggs a day from the two who are laying.

I have 8 pullets and am thrilled that I have two that are already laying. Two more seem like they should be close. But the other four I'm not holding my breath on waiting for them to lay.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, there really wasn't a problem...haha!
    You may see thin and or softshelled eggs repeatedly over the first month or so of laying until the new egg machines are fully tuned in.
    Congrats on your new layers...it's such fun...I've got 10 pullets just started a couple weeks ago, and even tho it's my 3rd year it still gets me going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by