Getting worse!!!!!Bumps On Wings!!?? Help Please PICS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Jun 25, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Gave my 2 week old ducklings their bath today and while they were wet i noticed that 2 out of the 3 have these red areas on their wings. Just like right at the top of the wing to and it goes all the way down to the tip. One duckling is worse that the other. It just looked red when looking at it and when i check them it was raised areas like a bump and it looked pretty irritated. The 3rd one doesnt have it though but he is darker so i dont think i could see it on him if it was there. Im not really sure what this is because my other 2 ducklings never went threw this when they were growing. They are only 2 weeks old and still completly fuzz so i didnt think it could be them pulling it out or fighting could it? They were all hatch mates and have always gotten along. I have never seen them fight once or try to pull anything out. Can anyone help me?

Sorry camera on phone so i hope that you can see but they look alot worse in person. They are red, raised, and bald, and look very irritated. And they get very mad when i touch them. Couldnt move all the fuzz out of the way because they were actually trying to nip at me and get away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder if that can be a sign of feathers starting to grow in?

3. featherfinder

Quote:They just turned 2 weeks today. My others did not start getting feathers till they were arounf 3 1/2 - 4 and its was there tail feathers that came in first and the wings last.

4. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The edges of the wings are often bare for a while, I couldn't see any bumps in the picture but I would just keep an eye on it. Could her brooder-mates be picking at her?

If the bumps get any larger or the wing becomes inflamed or looses anymore down I would contact an avian vet. Otherwise a war bath could help. Be sure she stays clean and dry to prevent an infection and consider puting some Poly-Vi-Sol drops in her drinking water (baby vitamins) the vitamins usually help with many kinds of duckling ailments.

Good Luck

Emily

5. featherfinder

Quote:Thank you for answering and no I dont think it would be her brooder mates. It is 2 of them out of the 3 that i have together that look like that and they have never been violent towards one another since i have had them (the day after they hatched). The thrid is dark skined so all i see is a bald spot down the wings. no redness or bumps. I will keep an eye one them and see if they get better. They have a niacin supplement already that has vitamins in it. will it be ok to give them Poly-Vi-Sol with it? or should i stop the supplement while i give them that?

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Its normal.. they always look worse when wet.. it will all fill in as they grow.

7. featherfinder

Now they are really red and there has been not fighting or pulling of feathers. I have beenw atching them to make sure they were getting along. The red is much worse and is now starting to extend all the way down their wings. Im really confused about this and they have diarrhea now. they have had that as long as they have had the wing thing. I have been putting neosporin on it and no sign of getting better. Can anyone help????

8. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Mine always get wing feathers first.

The feathers are getting ready to come in.

Stop putting anything on them. The feathers sometimes are painful when they start to come in.

Be sure whatever bedding you are using is kept dry and clean.

Be sure you are not using ANYTHING in their bathwater but water.

Runny poop is normal for ducks. They drink a lot of water.

9. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto what ChickyChickyBaby says... mine do the same thing...

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Mine too. Wouldn't worry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by