1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gettting the right humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Hello!! i have a question ya know i got the 1588 series incubator and i have been doing a test run on it before i put any eggs in and my question is the temp is around 100 but the humidity is around 68 well so i tried it again to get the humidity down this time not putting any water in the incubator and the darn humidity is still in the low 60's to mid 50's is there a trick i could do to lower the humidity level in the incubator since i think it needs to be in the 30's for the first 18 days and one more thing the incubator sometimes goes up to 100.9 is that going to be a problem? Thanks again for all your help!!

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Im sorry but Im not familiar with your incubator. I would aim for 99.5F (37.5) for a fan driven incubator and a lower humidity sounds a good idea. Maybe if you open your vents more it will lower the humidity. Of course this may also be due to the environemnt if its quite humid where you live.

I think you're very wise to keep fine tuning your incubator before you set your eggs. Once they're in you need to walk away as there will be some variances in the first 24 hours but it should settle down.

Here's a link to an Incubation Guide which may also help you.

Good luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

3. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you!!!!

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Your welcome - best of luck [​IMG]