ggamel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ggamel, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ggamel

ggamel New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Northern New Mexico
    Hi everyone! I am somewhat a newbie. Found this site back in Sept. when I was researching chickens and coop ideas and advice. I just am now learning how to navigate through site and make posts so I think it will be so much better now that I can actually communicate with you all. I live in the beautiful mountains of Northern New Mexico on our ranch of 15 acres. I have raised chickens 20 yrs ago for the meat and was not a pleasant experience for me. Now I decided I wanted to get some chickens for the pleasure of just having them and for the eggs of course. So I happened upon some in our local Tractor Supply in Sept. mind you didn't think they would have any at this time of year but they did so I decided to buy 12 chicks and brought them home not thinking about where I might house them. We converted 1 of our horse trailers into their temporary home and my Hubby got busy on building a coop for me. I had no idea what kind they were or sex. All have survived and I got my first eggs the past couple of weeks and am thrilled! they are so neat to watch and My hubby and son think I am addicted now and laugh at me for spending most of my spare time out there checking on them and looking for eggs. I now think I know what I have by researching breeds. I believe I have what are called Favorelles, and some Red Stars and a couple of buff orphingtons that were given to me. 3 roos and the rest hens.So needless to say I think I am addicted now as I am wanting to get more. Hubby will also need to add on to our cute coop which by the way is called Casa de Pollo house of the chicken. Love this site it is great and so informative! Look forward to chatting with you all and learning more and more about these curious little creatures.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. ggamel

ggamel New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Northern New Mexico
    Thank you!

4. Welcome to BYC! From Riverside California.[​IMG]

5. ggamel

ggamel New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Northern New Mexico
    Wow! that's a lot of chickens! Are the Ameraucanas the same as Easter Eggers?

6. They look like them but are a mixed breed that usually came from Ameraucanas. I do have a couple of EE also.

They all lay blue or greenish blue eggs.

7. They do not have the proper color

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Good luck with all your chicken addictions, [​IMG] and enjoy BYC!

9. ggamel

ggamel New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Northern New Mexico
    Thanks so much! Tell me about it high and dry. We need some rain! or snow at this point am ready for Spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by