1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ghost

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I lost a 8 week old BCM pullett last nite , she was on the floor of the henhouse ½ eaten . pen door shut and latched , house door shut and latched , no signs of any digging anywhere around fence or walls , walls are plywood that goes to a 2x10 with 1 edge buried 3 inches in the ground . door fits to within ¼ inch at top and both sides with a threhold board at bottom with a ¼ inch gap , I trapped a sparrow in there once and had to open the door to let it out . Have the trail cams set tonight , to hopefully get a pic of a ghost .

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    was everyone accounted in the headcount at lock-up(did it happen before doors shut)? culprit locked IN the coop at lockdown? Cannibalism?
    I hope you find your villain before anymore losses occur.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    What is your ventilation screened by?

What is the floor made of?

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    hmmmm this will be interesting to see what it is..

5. bubblesegg

bubblesegg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Caifornia
    I think maybe one of the other hens pecked it to death. It's called the pecking order. If it doesn't have a mother it won't be protected and will probably die. I recomend to keep future chicks in the house. [​IMG] I feel very sorry and I hope you find out what did that.

6. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Floor of hen house is dirt , all chickens in the house were hatched the same day , all had been in the same pen from day1 . all were accounted for when door was locked . Ventelation is a 2 ft band around top with nailed and trimmed ¼ in hardware cloth . no damage to it .. Below the roost is screened with 1x2 welded wire . Have 3 trail cam's set and 2 walk in traps and 4 victor steel traps set inside the pen , but outside the house .

7. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    If you have a dirt floor I would check to see if there are any hole's for rat or snake.

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    1 x 2 welded wire is to large a mesh and a dirt floor can be breached from some distance away by determined diggers working the dark hour shifts.

Depending upon how large a coop you have and the number of birds it is also possible that you are seeing death by flock mates.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    A rat or weasel will go through 1x2" wire.

10. ga_goat

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Caught my ghost and it showed me a loose board on the gate to the henhouse , It was a possum about the size of a softball and all black . The board on the gate / door didn't look loose but it was .
    I figured it was somthing that I knew about we do have rats in Ga but no weasel
    no mink no bears here in the southern part ,,mostly just coon , possum , hawks and owls .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by